New C8 wifi not working out of the box

Good Day to everyone,
Model: C8
Firmware: 2.3.6.146
Issue: Cannot get connected with Wifi.

I just received my C8 today. I run my network thru a 5G hotspot, it does not have a E-net connection. So I was planning on connecting to the C8 thru Wifi. When I first booted the hub up, I got the blue light for about 2-3 minutes, then it went green for about 30 seconds and then started flashing green and red. I understand that green/red means there are no network connections. I let it sit for another 5 minutes, trying to see if it was just a slow setup procedure. I still was not getting the MyNewHubitat network showing up on both my PC and my iPhone.

I then tried doing a hard reset with the button on the bottom of the C8 and starting over from the beginning. This time I let it sit with the green/red flashing light for around 10-15 minutes, unfortunately this also did not work :frowning:

Next I set up an older router and was able to connect to the C8. Using a USB connection to my hotspot I was able to get the C8 registered and updated to the latest firmware. I then went into the C8's Wifi network settings and tried to get it to connect to my Wifi with no luck. The C8 will not see any networks, my PC and phone see about 15 different networks around me. I disconnected the E-net cable to the C8, did one last reboot and I still am not seeing the C8 MyNewHubitat network.
I am thinking that the Wifi radio on the C8 is DOA.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or should I just contact Hubitat for a warranty exchange?

Thanks for reading this far (long winded I know :slight_smile: )

Can you PM me the hub id, I can take a look at the engineering logs on the hub.

I'm having the same issue with a C8 that I just got yesterday. When trying to connect to the C8's internal WIFI, no MyNewHubitat shows up as an available WIFI Network.

I am still having issues with mine.

Here is what gopher.ny told me to do. I first had to connect thru ethernet then do this.

"What happens if you go to Settings - Network setup - WiFi settings?
If the hub does not show available WiFi networks, click on "My network is not in the list" (the hyperlink part of it) and you can enter network name manually.
Once WiFi network name and password are entered, click Join WiFi network. It will take 30-60 seconds. If successful, the page will refresh showing both Ethernet and WiFi connections at the top."

But while I can get it to connect occasionally, if my cellular router reboots I lose all connectivity to the hubitat. I was able to get it to connect thru wifi for about 6-8 hours early this morning, but then my cellular router lost signal and had to reboot. I have not been able to connect thru wifi on the hubitat ever since (about 4 hours).

I am going to start a new thread asking if anybody has ever gotten this to work with wifi only (no ethernet, ever)

Hope you have better luck then I am having, I am about ready to ask for a refund.

I am also receiving the same issue. Just received the C8 and I cannot connect to wifi. The MyNewHubitat network won't show up and if I connect to ethernet I can go into the wifi settings and see my network but when I enter in the credentials it won't connect.

1 Like

Mine didn't show up either (received it yesterday as well). I reset the device, and then it showed up. Later that day, it no longer appears as an available WIFI Network. I cannot connect to the device through either the browser or the app, but the light on the device is green.

So I was able to connect briefly but it eventually dropped off and won't stay connected to my network via wifi

Thanks everyone for your feedback. We have identified an issue and a fix is expected to be released in the next release. If you'd like to try it out before public release, you may want to join the Beta group to enable the beta platform updates.

4 Likes

Thanks for informing us that Support has found an issue and is working on it.
Any idea how long till this will come out?
I am new to Hubitat, just trying to get a feel on new release timelines.
Thanks

This is bonkers, right? Device released in March, with new feature being WiFi connectivity… 9 months later and we’re waiting on a beta firmware update that might make it work?!

1 Like

I can’t speak to whether the newest platform release will help users having issues with their hub’s WiFi connection, but the beta firmware Bobby alluded to is now available to all users.

3 Likes

Hello,

I just received by C8 and am also having the same issue. Has there been a resolution to this? I am able to connect via ethernet however when attempting to connect with wifi the MyNewHubitat network does not show up.

Tagging @gopher.ny as I just saw another thread with a Wifi issue he was working on.

If already connected via ethernet, you can go to Settings > Network Setup and set up the Wifi from there instead of using the SSID.

If that is not an option try unplugging the ethernet first, then do a network reset: Network Setup | Hubitat Documentation

After the hub reboots (with ethernet still unplugged) the onboarding SSID is supposed to show up. Be watching on a device for it to pop up. There have been some cases where it shows up for a short time then drops off (not sure why). If that what is happening for you, it would be good for them to know.

1 Like