New C8 hub using EFR32MG21 will it support BLE 5.1

On the Youtube live last night , Mike mentioned the C8 will be using EFR32MG21. I'll assume it's the Mighty Gecko Series 2, and question is will the BLE built into the chip be activated/supported with the C8?

1 Like

There just really aren't enough BLE devices to spend much time on it at this point.

2 Likes

Perhaps. Built-in iBeacon support would be a real winner for things like individual presence.

7 Likes

If the chip was unlocked/available maybe this code (or something similar) could be developed by the community.

4 Likes

Unfortunately some of the most unique devices are limited to bluetooth. Switchbot comes to mind. It drives me insane that nobody makes those handy little bots in Zigbee.

1 Like

I don't know if this proprietary information (it could be). But are the kernel modules to access the BTLE interface loaded? If they are, the possibility of accessing via the platform some day in the future exists. If they aren't, then in my mind it is much less likely to happen.

A bluetooth implementation requires time slicing the radio, something we aren't keen on.

6 Likes

Isn’t btle used for a lot of cheap sensors? can the time slicing be a viable option if it’s used for low priority high latency devices, such as temperature and environmental sensors?

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.