New C7 Install in progress

Okay to report back again (I've been doing so already in a few other threads).

Today did the shutdown/unplug/wait/startup (SWUS?) thing.. and 2 ghost devices appeared - the original "015" and a new one "016". First tried to remove the "015" via it's remove button on the Z-Wave details page but it did not work. SWUS'd again and was able to pair my UZB-7. All good - was able to remove "015" by doing the whole "is failed" / "remove failed" thing. Was unable to remove "016" but no worries - SWUS'd again and this time in HE a new device appeared called "Zooz Central Scene Dimmer". Did not seem to respond to anything (I should have waited maybe) so tried to remove from the device details page. Was unable remove/exclude the offending switch so did a force remove which in hindsight probably not a good idea. A new ghost was created and I was unable to remove from HE or PC Controller SW.

During the A5 discussion - I did a repair on Node 006 to show @csteele that the mystery A5's would still in fact exist even after such a repair. Sadly I was wrong (doh!) but the interesting thing is my 016 ghost node started showing up as "OK" and a route??? - see bottom right of following pic.

For giggles went ahead and did a "discover". Another "Zooz Central Scene Dimmer" got created. I went to the details page and tried to turn on/off, configure etc.. initially got no response. Eventually though things started working!!! Now sadly I am not onsite with the hub at the moment but the details page is reporting the device is responding with on/offs so am a bit encouraged by this...

One thought is that making changes etc may in fact take a few seconds or minutes longer than anticipated especially due to the network busy issue. You can end up tripping over your own feet...

What's the most reliable UZB for fixing ghost nodes and upgrading firmware?

So in the past the Z-Stick has been great - use it for excluding devices mostly and the occasional ghost removal. Today I used the UZB-7 for the first time. Paired fine (I paired it with no security) and was able to see and remove one of the 2 ghosts I had. Seemed to work well. Note: the other ghost transformed into a real device after I ran a "discover" on the device on the Z-Wave details page.

In terms of firmware - I have not used any usb stick for that purpose. The HE z-wave firmware update driver works really well for me.

1 Like

Link to the UZB-7 please? :slight_smile:

If in the US here's one..

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Silicon-Labs/SLUSB001A?qs=u16ybLDytRbJsMfgk3EnSA%3D%3D

1 Like

I've only used the aeon z-stick 5 for firmware updates. Others may work, but the aeon for sure does.

Side note, I see the z-stick 7 exists now too. I didn't see anywhere to buy it yet when I looked yesterday though.

Edit: mouser is also where I purchased my uzb-7.

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I will order one and leave it paired with the C-7 in case there are issues. Is the UZB-7 a router? Will my zwave network be affected if I turn off the PC the dongle is connected to?

Not good to have unpowered Z-Wave devices on the network, especially right now when the Z-Wave error handling is fragile.

1 Like

I agree with @672southmain but dunno specifically for a secondary controller..

I usually just pair and exclude each time. It's very easy to do.

1 Like

Does the Zwave PC controller allow to apply firmware updates on "target 1"? As you all know, Inovelli dimmers need two firmware files that need to be applied

yes I think so but have never done it. have you tried the firmware updater by @bcopeland?

I have, it works quite well for sure, but it's currently limited to devices paired with no authentication. Since there are so many issues going on with inclusion on the C7 and ghost nodes, I would rather not risk going through the process of including with no auth and then patching, excluding and again including again with S2. So I was thinking of applying the firmware outside of Hubitat to keep the Zwave network safe

The question I have is if you pair the uzb-7 unsecured can you still update s2 devices? There was some talk about not being able to pair the stick via s2 if you already have paired devices.. but dunno if this is true or not.

Inovelli recommends to pair with no authentication when updating firmware

1 Like

I had a old Aeotec Gen 5 z stick and found an old wintel laptop running windows 7... I went back to v 119 and was able to include the stick. I am now in way over my head... In the listen column some of the devices have blank boxes and other are checked, what is tat telling me?

1 Like

That has to do w/whether the devices are "listening" or active, soemthing along those lines... @erktrek helped me w/that yesterday. Basically, don't worry about those. Whatever you click on is the currently selected device, regardless of the checks.

Here's what he said:

So the devices that are "listening" get a check. The ones without are probably battery powered or other low reporting devices.

If you're trying to remove a ghost, this is what he advised me:

Exclude Ghost Device:
a. Find and click on the "ghost" device.
b. Click on "Is Failed" in the upper right pane
c. If that marks the device as "Failed," then click on "Remove Failed"
d. If status doesn't change to "Failed," try clicking on "NOP" and maybe "Is Failed" a few times to see if that works. Goal is to get device to "Failed" status so you can remove it.

To exclude the UZB stick when you're done:

When Done, Exclude UZB stick:
a. To exclude UZB stick put the hubitat hub in exclusion mode
b. In the PC Control app click on the UZB stick entry
c. Select "Learn Mode" and then "NWE."
Device should then get excluded from your hub

P.S. Don't thank me, thank @erktrek. I'm just paying forward a little of the gallons of help he's given me. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sorry, but I must be daft tonight. I click on the link, login, and then click 'PC Controller" and I get rewarded with this message. I've tried a couple of different browsers and 2 different machines. What am I doing wrong?

Have to do the sdk first