NEW: Built-in OTA Z-Wave device firmware updates

A post was split to a new topic: Abandoned cart email

This is a really nice feature! Thanks a bunch!

Seems like a companion app that lists all devices and their firmware versions would be really handy!
Just planting a seed of an idea... :slight_smile:

Better still if the firmware update app grouped all the devices by the manufacturer code, device type/ID, and firmware version so you could "select all" of the same device type and firmware and update them in a batch. It seems this would just require a simple query to each device at the startup of the app. so all the "same" devices could be identified and grouped.

3 Likes

I actually looked at that yesterday. Suddenly using generic zwave drivers is less appealing because it's hard to know the product. I ended up in the same spot as you, an app that looks at device is and firmware and reports groups of similar device ID's as well as reporting non upgradable devices (eg non z+ devices).

I like it, I haven't written anything in groovy, maybe this is the impetus for me to try it out.

@bcopeland Does this one do updates with S0 or S2 devices, or do you have to go plaintext to update like with the open source version?

From the release notes:

2 Likes

Thank you, I overlooked the technical details below the diagrams.

Sure does

1 Like

FYI, @bcopeland

Just tried a FW update on an iBlinds device. It never seemed to start and locked up my hub - had to reboot. I lost all control of all devices.

Froze on this screen - never had any progress:

Screenbefore:

Only logs I had:

I had just removed and re-installed the app. 2.2.4.158, C7. Motor is connected to power 24\7, so not an issue related to being batteries/sleeping, I would think. Blinds are joined w/S2 Auth.

same for me, not working at all currently

I'm on 2.2.4.158 and I successfully used the app to update firmware on 3 Inovelli Red Series dimmers a couple of days ago. I got a couple of errors along the way, but just restarted the update after the error and it worked fine.

1 Like

I successfully updated a new Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor 7 today on my C-7 running 2.2.4.158. Had to reboot the hub to get the driver to report the updated firmware version.

Also ran into the Updater bug that refuses to go through the select device, etc., process if the prior updated device is no longer present (some sort of an app initialization issue). Solved by deleting the Updater app and reinstalling.

So where is everyone finding the firmware update files? Would be really nice if there was a central repository somewhere.

2 Likes

I've only updated Invoelli LZW36 and the file was on their website in the support section.

Right now, it seems to be a scavenger hunt. Aeotec has theirs on their website (see links on their support page for each device).

@dennypage has the recent Aeotec 1.02 update for the Range Extender 7 in his GitHub repo for a bug he found in the RE7 this past September (Aeotec support doesn’t seem to have posted the bug fix). Search the forum for @dennypage’s discussion on his driver release thread.

For Zooz, you have to file a support ticket and provide a copy of your purchase invoice. Innovelli has them on their support website. Bryan Copeland has some in his GitHub repo where his user-contributed firmware updater driver(s) were hosted.

1 Like

I had a successful FW update of an iBlinds motor today using the built-in FW updater.

Key difference seemed to be closing and then opening the blinds just before attempting the update. I'm going to try a few more (have five blinds that need updating), but this is encouraging. :slight_smile:

Update on three other blinds:

A blind connected w/S2 Auth did not want to update, so I excluded it from HE, added it to my UZB stick in PC Controller, updated, and then brought it back to HE. I added it w/no security back on HE and expect things to be better in that setup. The FW transfer to it when it was connected via S2 Auth was agonizingly slow, to the point that it looked frozen.

Another blind updated w/out issue. Third is in process and looks like it will go OK.

It does seem that the folowing steps are making my updates consistenly successful:

• Open and close the blinds to ensure they are "awake" before I start. Not 100% sure it's required, but when a blind was not responding to the FW updater to provide the target info, doing that made it work
  • Uninstall and re-install the FW updater after each blind. It just doesn't seem to like to do two updates in a row. Starting clean seems to help. When I've tried to do multiple in a row the issue has been that the blind doesn't respond to the request for the target.

One thing that could be improved is

The screens/messaging can be confusing. The update process goes from transferring the FW, to Complete, and then on to the third screen below without input. If you you aren't watching and come back when it's on the third screen it's not clear that the update completed successfully.

But it's working! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This FW update didn't go well. It stalled at 66% and just sat there, no more juice. I aborted it and decided I'd reboot my hub to see if that helped w/the FW update tool.

Hub came back up and the blind had lost routing, Z-Wave devices were lagging severely or not responding. Tried Refresh on Z-Wave details page multiple times and it would not come back. Used Remove to remove it.

Reset the device and paired it to UZB and did FW update that way, then added back to HE and it's working.

Don't know if the FW updater was the reason why the blinsds were bounced off the mesh, but they had been working w/out issue beforehand.

I'm trying to find it but can anyone point me in the right direction? Por favor?

Be aware that there are two versions, both with the same name, both with the same version number, in that thread. See my post here in that thread:

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning the exclude/include for Zooz devices. Only bad thing is you have to also remove them and re-add to all apps again.