New Aqara Zigbee 3.0 occupancy sensor (FP1) looks interesting

:rofl:

Not my area of expertise of course so always fun to make clueless assertions... mmwave is high-band 5G I think.

I've had my FP1 in our powder room for a few weeks and other than the water always running hot from the faucet and various burn points on our walls theres nothing to be concerned about. Also the heated liquid soap dispenser is a plus.

:wink:

5 Likes

Woah! So all the stuff about 5G is true!! :wink:

My wife and I have a friend from graduate school who has gone full-tilt 5G conspiracy. The last time we saw her she had this little plastic and metal gizmo about the size of a large kid's walkie-talkie, and looked like a fake Star Trek gizmo (but a really tacky/cheap version). She kept waving it around to "detect and block 5G waves.

3 Likes

I know an ophthalmologist who is like that.. :person_shrugging:

_nothowthisworks

2 Likes

Some info from www.aqara.com/cn/Aqara-Presence-Detector-FP1_support
Note, that this is Google automatic translation from Chinese and some of the answers refer to the Aqara native hub and application-specific usage, but still may be useful for us:

What can the Human Presence Sensor FP1 monitor?
The Aqara Human Presence Sensor FP1 can monitor the status of space occupied, unmanned, entering, leaving, approaching, and moving away, and also has some laboratory functions, such as real-time tracking, left and right entering and leaving, and regional positioning.

Can the human presence sensor FP1 be used for multi-person detection?
If it is used as an application with no people and no one, multiple people in the space do not affect the judgment of the existence type. If it is used as a regional positioning application, the sensor currently cannot support multi-person detection, and now only supports the tracking and positioning of a single target. When there are multiple targets in the space, the target with the largest signal is preferentially tracked.

What is the detection area?
The detection area is convenient for users to configure more specific area automation. We give the user 28 grid options, and the user can freely choose which area to use as the trigger area of ​​the automation event. For example, set up sofas, bathrooms, study rooms, dining tables and other areas. Once the detection area is set, the selection of detection areas will be added to the automation conditions; up to 10 detection areas are supported.

What is the difference between someone in the area automation and no one entering and leaving the event and the original event?
The three conditions of someone unentered are similar to the global event, but the leave event is different from the global leave. The departure of the zone is judged instantaneously.

How to use the automation corresponding to regional positioning in a multi-person scenario?
If the multi-person scene also uses area automation, it is recommended to select the entry of the area or the person as the condition for opening the scene, and then use the global unmanned as the condition for closing the scene. For example, there are two areas: sofa and study room. Set the sofa entry event to open the audio and video scene, the study entry event to open the reading scene, and the global unmanned event to close all scenes. In this way, the situation of entering the study area and closing the scene of the sofa area will not occur.

What is the use of the area background image?
The regional background image is mainly used to facilitate the user to make a frame of reference, so that the user can more accurately know where the target is; the background image only affects the user's subjective judgment and does not affect the recognition performance of the device. Up to ten icons are supported.

What's the use of sources of interference, ingress and egress, edges?
The human presence sensor uses millimeter wave technology, which is sensitive to moving objects, and there are often moving targets in the living and office space, such as curtains, fans, green plants blown by the wind, and clothes to dry. If the sensor happens to be facing these objects , it is easy to generate false positives. If the installation location cannot be avoided, this area needs to be used for interference source marking. At present, the best support for interference source labeling is mainly green plants, flowing water and other objects with small emission signals. The settings of inlet and outlet and edge are also used to improve the accuracy of the sensor. More labels can help the sensor to make more accurate judgments. If the environment is clean, it will work fine without these configurations.

What is the button on the human presence sensor FP1 for? What happens when you click it?
The button has the following functions: 1. Short press once: when it is normally bound to the gateway, short press the button once to confirm whether the communication between the sensor and the gateway is normal. If the communication is normal, the gateway will voice broadcast: "communication is normal" 's prompt. 2. Press and hold for 5 seconds: After pressing and holding the button for 5 seconds, you can add the sensor to the Zigbee gateway as prompted by the App.

What is the connection distance between the human presence sensor FP1 and the gateway?
Different indoor environments have different working distances. When used in a daily home environment, it is recommended that the distance between the human presence sensor FP1 and the gateway should not exceed 20 meters, and the distance between them should not exceed two walls.

How to verify if the installation position of the human presence sensor FP1 is appropriate?
After the binding is successful, if the little man icon appears on the home page of the device, and the motion path is the same as yours, it means that the device can report the positioning data normally; Note: There will be a delay of several seconds for the device to display, which delays the communication between the zigbee network and the server. . If the device can correctly report no one within 30s after leaving the detection area, it means that the current installation location of the device can meet the main requirements; Even if no one is reported, it means that there is some interference in the space, and you can check the environment and change the location. When installing, be sure to avoid various moving objects and objects that move within a certain period of time to avoid false alarms.

Why does the human presence sensor FP1 go offline sometimes?
It may be too far away from the gateway, or there is a metal shield in the middle. Try to get close to the gateway and avoid metal obstructions. Tip: In order to achieve a better experience, please upgrade the device firmware in time to ensure compatibility and stable communication between devices.

How far can the Human Presence Sensor FP1 detect?
The detection range of the sensor is like a flashlight, but it has a horizontal range of 120 degrees, a vertical range of 40 degrees, and a radial distance of about five meters. Wherever you need it to cover, just hold a flashlight and see if it can cover that area.

What can proximity and distance automation do, and what is the use of proximity sensing distance configuration?
The user can configure the automation of approaching or moving away from the sensor, such as the proximity sensor to turn on the light; the three gears of the proximity sensing distance represent 1 meter, 2 meters, and 3 meters respectively. After setting, entering this threshold from far will report an approaching event; leaving this threshold from near will report a far-away event.

What does undirected monitoring and left-right monitoring mean?
Sometimes users will install the device on the top of the ceiling or at the bottom of the bed for sleep state detection. In this case, undirected monitoring can be selected. If the side-mounted device also selects undirected monitoring, it is impossible to distinguish between entering the door and going out. kind of scene. If left and right monitoring is used, it can be used in certain scenarios. For example, if the door is on the left, you can set left entry and left exit, representing entering and exiting. This kind of event can help us better distinguish the scene.

5 Likes

@kkossev thanks (reading my mind) :slight_smile:
Was just thinking about trying to read the Chinese instructions.

Received another 4 FP1 devices yesterday (6 total).
Paired them to 3 different hubs with zigbee channels 19, 20, and 21.
Only my channel 20 hub gave me some trouble pairing but I suspect it is because it is due to interference next to my computer and Sonos play speaker.
But putting the hub into zigbee pairing mode and then holding the FP! button for aprox 5 seconds until the light blinks rapidly 3-4 times and they all paired fine.
Selecting configure after pairing to make the device powerSource change from "dc" to "?" then wait and trigger an change. The powerSource should change back to "dc". This appears to confirm the device is correctly paired.

The bad news is if these are powered off for to long they fall off the network and do not automatically rejoin. 12 hours for sure not sure what the minimum time is (a few minutes appears to be fine).
If they fell off the network I had to put the hub in pairing mode and hold the FP1 button again for 5 seconds.

But overall they work great.
I now have a lot of extra old motion sensors I don't know what to do with.

Same problem the old Aqara motion and flood sensors had.
Hoped they had fixed that :pensive:
So would be best on a battery backup system.

2 Likes

I was a bit mistaken on the FP1 powering off and not rejoining the zigbee network.
The FP1's auto rejoin works (mostly) fine unless they are knocked off the network due to electronic interference caused by other devices.
Powering off was not the cause of dropping off the network.
Only 2 of my 6 FP1's had dropped off.
First one was at my main computer which has a lot of electronics near it mainly a Sonos play 5 which I suspect is the culprit. Also My one hub that I always had trouble pairing these FP1's to is there as well (never had trouble pairing any other zigbee devices to it).
The second one to fall off was down in my garage with 2 other FP1's but it was on top of a stand up freezer (the other 2 FP1's in the garage have never had a problem).
I tested lots of different things with the FP1 that fell off for over a week on a work bench in the garage and never had a problem.
But I put it back on top of the freezer and it got knocked off the network.
I had to move it about 3 feet away from the freezer before it would stay on the network.

Conclusion is they are very sensitive to electronic interference so be careful where they are placed.

Another odd thing is when they are knocked off the network you can not just move the FP1 to a new location and power cycle it. You have to put the hub into pairing mode and hold the FP1 button for 5 seconds to get it to pair again. The hub should say it detects an old device.
But if it is paired and working you can power off the FP1 and move it no problem. I powered it off for over 24 hours and plugged it back in and it worked fine.

I highly recommend these FP1's they work great in a bathroom.
Stays active even behind a shower curtain.
update:
Just tested a standard 3/8" (10 mm) thick glass shower door from about 4 feet away and it detected me fine.
Also tested a steam shower glass 1/2" (12 mm) thick. It had a harder time but did work at 3-4 feet away. It didn't detect at 6 feet away.

I will likely be buying more.

4 Likes

A heads up! So I just had one of my 4 sensors (my busiest device - the powder room sensor) go offline after a few months of working great. Now unable to get it respond - pair (5 sec hold), reset (20 sec hold) or anything - no blue light or any lights. Tried swapping out power supplies, etc. no go.. :cry:

Since this is a relatively expensive item as far as AliExpress gizmos go will be holding off to see how the other ones fair. :crossed_fingers:

Sometimes it's just dumb luck.. but we'll see.

Never had an Aqara device go bad on me... is there a support channel that's worth trying?

I guess I could contact Aqara support.. however I am not using their app or hub etc etc.

As far as returns go I pretty much accept that when AliExpress is involved the whole process will problematic due to a variety of factors. This is why I rarely buy expensive things through there if I can help it.

Oh no lights doesn’t sound good. I hope you get it sorted.

1 Like

I had one that had a very dim to no light.
I unplugged it and pressed and held the button then started the hib pairing and while still holding the button plugged the power back in and waited for the light to flash.
It took a couple of tries.

1 Like

Yeah, I did try that and multiple variations.. I've managed to pair 2 others so something isn't quite right with this one.. dunno.

I took it apart for no particular reason and noticed that the LED was in fact flashing blue once on power on.

Cannot get.it working pairs.ok.bit doesnt seem to.sense it correctly

@kahn-hubitat
What zigbee channel are you using?
Also do you know if it is routing through a zigbee router device? It may cause issues.

I got farther . Repairing didn't help till i physically removed the device and paired it again

Shows more and recognizes it but motion is not being triggered.

As to your questions. Channel 20 and unfort. Looks like it is routing through something even though it is not anywhere close to that device.

I set it through the device panel to innactive manually and it will not trigger when i walk by it.

Select configure and then try walking by it.
You may have to power cycle it.
If that doesn't work.
If you know what device it is routing through.
Power it down then repair the FP1.

1 Like

Ok will.do but cannot really power it down.it.is a ge zigbee wall switch

Also how can a device work.if it cannot route through another device as its final location is.not near the hub..that makes it kinda unusable.