[NEW APP] Room Lighting

Interesting approach.

I have panels as well, but never thought of using them that way. Good idea.

I think the sensors have an advantage in the snow dept, but damn thats a good idea.

Another idea I've seen several people on here use, is indoor sensors facing out the windows. Protected, cheaper, and probably easier to find power for!

S.

haha good, it's not me :slight_smile: thanks ill try again after next update!

Rik

I already have modes for house events - wake up, weekend, lunch time, day off etc that I use with heating, some lighting etc (eg heat the kitchen at breakfast and lunch but not from 930-1130) but don’t want to add more as it’s already quit confusing.

It would be really good to have multiple “modes”, with different state sets:

• light - dim, bright etc like yours
  • household - school day, weekend, school holiday
  • time of day - lunch, breakfast, etc
    Etc

So you could use them independently or in combination.

2 Likes

I have virtual switches for some sub-modes like that:

• Babysitter Mode, when our kids (no phones) are home without us, so presence sensors can't be trusted.
  • Solo Work Mode, when I'm working from home and everyone else is gone; my office should be lit, but the rest of the house treats it as equivalent to Away unless my door opens.
  • Movie Mode, when the TV is on and the lights should be dimmer in that area.

But yes, I agree that too many distinct modes gets confusing, particularly with all the rules that have to be touched to account for a new one.

2 Likes

Hi. I'm probably missing something simple but I don't see a way to set a dim level based upon "motion stays inactive". I only see "motion stays inactive" for turning off the lights. I'm trying to figure out how I can dim kitchen lights after no motion has been detected for x period of time. Any guidance on how I can accomplish this using new Room Lighting app?

One way would be to use a Preset Off, with the settings you want (Alternate Turning Off Method). In effect you are Turning Off the lights, although in this case they are set to your dim levels. The Means to Turn Off is Motion Stays Inactive. For the Activate side uncheck the Act column, and use Motion Active. So Activation doesn’t turn on any lights, but “Turning Off” does.

1 Like

I have read thru this entire thread and I can't find what the child with state disabled means? I thought maybe it was when the the rule wasn't in the mode that it was defined for, but that was not the case. I also thought it may be due to the the switch being set that disables activation but that isn't it either. Any guidance? These settings all work in the equivalent motion lighting app. I have been able to switch over all but a couple of my motion lighting apps to Room Lighting. Truly great work. I look forward to being able to retire all my other motion lighting, scenes and potentially groups.

Looks like you have disabled it with the BarryInBed switch turning on but have no means to re-enable the automation. Perhaps something like:

This is a great app, just started using.

@bravenel Would it be possible to use variables in addition to modes to model scenes? I have things such as working, sleeping... which are independent from day/night... and can happen simultaneously.

2 Likes

The app is built around modes, so changing that to variables would pretty much be a different app (i.e, this just isn't in the cards). You would need to create a separate instance for each variable.

I dont see this grace period option in the docs anywhere, can you explain? It only shows when you select an alternate turning off method. Sounds similar to the delay off, but maybe I am just not understanding it.

Grace Period does only apply when there is a Preset Off. What happens is that when Turned Off, the app does the Preset Off first, then waits for the Grace Period before finally Turning Off the lights completely. This is to allow an automation where when motion goes inactive, first the lights dim, and then after a bit turn off. If new motion happens at any time before the expiration of the Grace Period, the app would return to full brightness.

Oh yeah that is awesome, I saw someone request that I didnt catch where you added it. Thats professional level automation you would see in commercial systems. Going to try it out for the bathrooms.

@bravenel question about groups and ZigBee messages.

Using the group's and scenes app if for example I had a group for dining room then a group for the front room then a group for the ground floor. The advice would be to have the all the individual lights in the ground floor group. This way they would end up using a single ZigBee group for the ground floor off.
Same again for the whole house group.

So is the advice the same in room lighting? Or should we put all the other "room created" activation devices in a room lighting app to great a "parent" activation device?

Not too sure if this is a bug or my incorrect usage case, I am trying to automate the turning off of all selected lighting from the hue dimmers at our bedsides.

I have tried adding button 4 of those dimmers to the means to turn off which appears to go through the correct motions in the logs, however in the log it reports as switch already off resulting in the lights staying on.

I have also tried setting it up as a standalone room with all required lights in it and deselected activate from light control just leaving the off command - still no joy.

The only time I am able to achieve all lights turning off is if they are activated from within the “room” activating them from other means I.e HomeKit, dimmer switch etc results in them not turning off

Any ideas, or have I completely missed the mark.

Add Turning Off Option of Turn Off Even If Partially Off.

1 Like

That’s the magic bullet, thank you.

Hey @bravenel I'm happy to be consolidating my mishmash of rules into this new app.

I have my sleep mode in a bathroom turn on to a calm low red light. I've got this successfully going with the new app using the modes activation. I have a pico on the wall that I'd like to use to bypass the red sleep lights and turn on the lights to a normal daylight brightness. How is this achieved with the app?

I have another thing in the bedroom called "bright mode" (it's not really a "mode" in the sense that Hubitat defines modes) - but basically it pauses the color temperature stuff and turns all the lights to 100% bright white so we can do laundry. Same sort of deal.

You'll have to use more than one app to do what you're describing. Room Lights can have two sets of settings for the lights using a Preset Off, but that probably won't fit what you're describing.

@bravenel when I do a off from the activation device nothing happens but if I do a off from the app the lights turn off.

This is just a group RL

Just a off from device

Off from app