[NEW APP] Room Lighting

There is a Means to Turn Off of 'Elapsed Time'. The app would need the switch turning on to be a Means of Activation, so that it knows the light has been turned on. Then, after the Elapsed Time it would Turn Off.

I played around with that, but I am guessing I need it to be its own room lighting instance? I can't combine it with the motion and contact sensor as it always then turns off after x minutes if I have them in one.

So, you want it to turn off after x minutes when there is no motion and no contact closing, right? If so, you will need to do that in Rule Machine, not Room Lights, as Room Lights doesn't have that sort of conditional action.

If the motion active/inactive (or contact sensor open/close) is both means to activate and means to deactivate, and elapsed time is greater than the "and stays" for motion, and you select "from last activation event", i think it could work to combine these.

1 Like

Hello,
I see that you make a great afford to progress with the platform and this app is certainly a hard and good work but I'm not sure if I should use it. I have tons of scenes triggered simply by a virtual button on the dashboard. I use button controller to control individual lamps or groups of lamps to set dimmer and colour. I took a look in this app, but can't find a real advantage in using it as all my rules for the lamps for a room are grouped inside the button controller.

Am I right that in that case I have no real advantage in using RL ? - maybe for Alexa as it creates the virtual device for Alexa?

Cant you set in the means to turn off, a limit of active motion? I have done this so that if the fan turns off the lights turn off but NOT if there is active motion, then if no motion, but the fan is ON, also limited. They both have to be off and whichever one goes off last triggers the means to turn off. I have thought about also adding a timer to this for the exact reason they asked about it, I think it would work.

Second post is my updated app [Example] RL Bath Motion with Exhaust Fan and Preset Off - #2 by jtp10181

First post above that explains some of the options I have set

1 Like

I think it's for people who want in-depth lighting automation. As, with the exception of the garden lights coming on if there is an intruder in the night, we control our lights manually or by voice, a combination of button controllers and scenes has filled our needs quite simply.

Currently running version: 2.3.2.138

This room lighting app is nice however I'm having some major inconsistency and non responsiveness that i don't have with the "Basic Rules".

I first tried to configure a simple rule to turn on with motion and turn off with a button push of another device. This worked only 305- 40% of the time and then the motion on stopped working altogether.

Now i have it to just turn on and off with a button press and it's just not consistently responsive. I have the same rule mapped out under "Basic Rule" that works flawlessly. FYI, when I'm testing i only have the one rule on at a time.

You would need to show us this app setup page, and the logs it produces, for us to have any chance to understand what is going on. This is known to be reliable, so there is some other issue.

Sure thing, thank you for the quick response.

Is the screen shot I provide not the "setup page"?

Please see below settings page if this is helpful. Also, i have debug enabled but not seeing where the logs show.

Something that is odd....

I've tried removing the rule all together and creating a brand new rule, However it appears to preserve/persist previous configurations for the room. See below in green.

When you select a "Room" at the top it prefills some defaults below based on the devices in the room to get you going. Thats what you are seeing there, nothing would be saved from one app child to new one.

I'm trying to use Room Lighting for open and close my Shelly 2.5 blinds using phillips Hue dimmer, but so far I didn't succes.
Do you think it's possible or I should use other Hubitat app?

Are you saying it's trying to automatically load any devices I already have in the room?

My use case....

1. Installed the app,
  2. Added rule and with a custom button push for a z-wave plus aeotec wallmote quad called "Quad Switch"
  3. Tested rule, did not work as expected
  4. Deleted rule with intent to start over
  5. Create new rule
  6. It loads with previous custom configuration off "Quad Switch"

I'd expect it to be a completely blank/clean rule with no configuration.

Yeah when you select rooms to automate it fills in the rest as a best guess.

1 Like

Just don't use the Room selector. You can just put the devices in the Devices to Automate selector, and you will have a completely clean slate.

4 Likes

In beta I even asked @bravenel to add a warning because I saw this confusion coming.

4 Likes

How does Room Lightinig logic work in this case?

a) does activation trigger 1x time when the temperature reaches 22.5, tests if humidity is >85 then start if humidity is less or nothing if <85

b) does activation trigger every time if temperature changes and is less than 22.5, tests if humidity is >85 then start if humidity is less or nothing if <85

As you see in this chart example below, the temperature reached 22.5, and the humidity 86. so it will not trigger.
10 min later temperature is 22, and the humidity 85. will this condition change trigger action?

also when it reaches 22 and the humidity is 50 then it triggers, but if the humidity changes to 90 with keeping the temperature under 22 the whole time, does that turn off the device?

Is it possible to run a "low light" setup instead of turning off the lights? i.e. In my kitchen, I have a few lights. Generally I like to leave 1 of them on during my waking hours and below a certian LUX, but then when walking into the kitchen, I would like to turn all lights on, and after leaving, I would like to return to the single light on, and not turn off the lights.

Then when I am in night mode, I simply turn off all the lights.

I have been looking at the app and the thread here and have not found a solution for this. I can see that I can use ACT and OFF, but not to set particular lights to another state (i.e. lower light).

Perhaps a column with option for OFF settings?

@bravenel I was wondering if the restore to previous state bug was fixed? I didn't see it in the release notes.