[NEW APP] Room Lighting

I have moved most lighting automations over to RL and am just getting the hang of it. I have a lighting rule in RM 5.1 that "pauses" other rules in it's actions. Can we pause a rule in this new app (if so I missed it)? -Joel

No, not directly. You could do it indirectly using a companion rule that did the pausing for you based on a virtual switch being turned on or off by RL.

1 Like

I have a couple of questions if I can?

• how can I activate at the earlier of either sunset or 9pm? In summer sunset is late, but in winter it might be just before 4pm.
  • and the inverse for off.

Then, I want to set up lights to be less harsh as we approach “bed time”:

• at a certain time, I’d like to dim lights which are active
  • if you press the on switch after this time, the light comes on dimmed
  • press it a second time and the lights go full

I’d like to be able to set this once for multiple rooms (eg a template), rather than set up each room individually.

Probably not helpfull, but i find using an outdoor illuminance sensor solves your first problem nicely.

Basically, I figured out what level of Lumens is "dark" in my home, e.g. what level makes me want lights on.

Then i set a hub variable to that level, and used Room Lighting to automate the rooms I use. The nice part, is that it works on cloudy days too.

S.

2 Likes

Thanks. Any recommendation for a wire-powered illuminated sensor so I don’t need to keep managing batteries? I’m in the uk.

The Hue motion sensors (outdoor) are awesome, and I want to say Ive seen a hack to externally power them. Let me see if I can find it.

You'd need to find a UK version of a kit for a direct DC solution i think. One like what is linked in this thread: Any good OUTDOOR motion sensors (Zigbee) cheaper than Hue? - #14 by jimhim

S.

2 Likes

I have 3 of the Hue Outdoor detectors, they use AA batteries. I have the Energizer lithium batteries in them and easily get 1-1.5 years before I replace them (usually earlier than needed) in Michigan (Northern US). -Joel

1 Like

Yup, i have 2 going on 2-3 years! Love these things.

S.

2 Likes

I was wondering what change in the latest update. on version .124 if I remember right. I've created automation with custom attribut. Like if I unlock a door it open a light or if a light goes on close the initial light.

Now when I click on it I have a message error

Unexpected Error

An unexpected error has occurred trying to load the app. Check Logs for more information.

Error: No signature of method: java.lang.String.mod() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.Integer) values: [1] Possible solutions: drop(int), find(), any(), find(groovy.lang.Closure), find(java.lang.CharSequence), find(java.util.regex.Pattern)

Any thoughts

This error was found earlier, and the fix for it will be in the next release. Possibly tomorrow. Sorry for the inconvenience.

2 Likes

How did I miss that, works perfectly now. Love Room Lighting.

Aeotec Multisensor 6 of which I have several can be permanently powered via USB, or optional batteries. There is a newer version too but I've not tried it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aeotec-Multisensor-temperature-humidity-vibration/dp/B0141FQDJQ/ref=sr_1_1?crid=33AZ9E4NYBHYF&keywords=aeotec+multisensor+6&qid=1655368155&sprefix=aeotec+multi%2Caps%2C66&sr=8-1

1 Like

Hi,

I've migrated all my motion light rules to Room lighting, this worked great!! with the possibility to cut a lot of rules where I use different lights with different mode's. so that all went great.

now my nube question, I've never used custom attributes but i thought I'd try only whatever i try i get a unsuspected error. this could be me not understanding what I'm doing so can someone enlighten me?

I'm trying to make lights do something when my Chromecast is playing (this does work and update well in my Chromecast integration) when I select custom attribute for means to turn on the lights than select my Chromecast device, and select "status" for my attribute than I can select contains for comparison. this all goes well. only now I need to type in the field "select text value" whatever I type here the Room Lights app will crash and give back a error.

is this something I do wrong? I want my lights to do something when this attribute is on "playing"

Rik

There is a bug, and you get the prize for finding it! Thanks.

Fix will be in next release.

4 Likes

FWIW, a couple months back I split the default "Home" state into Bright, Dim, and Dark modes with different lighting defaults for each. (I already had a "Night" mode; don't recall if that's default.) There's a RM rule that shifts between them based on how bright it is outside -- it's conservative, only moving up (e.g. Dim->Bright) if it's been past the threshold continuously for 10 minutes, but moving down (e.g. Dim->Dark) immediately if it ever goes below the threshold.

RL let me combine a Scene corresponding to each Mode into a single RL instance with per-Mode settings.

Even less helpful: I spent a long time trying the software-approximated lux from weather, looking at outdoor motion+illuminance sensors and not quite pulling the trigger.

Then I realized there are these gigantic solar panels on my room that give me a very concrete measurement of how bright it is outside. So all my decisions for how bright it is outside are expressed in terms of the Power Meter representing my solar output. (Perhaps I should write an app to surface that as an illuminance sensor, but I haven't so far.)

Now, that goes a little awry when a snowstorm covers the panels, but that doesn't usually last that long. Snow melts.

1 Like

Interesting approach.

I have panels as well, but never thought of using them that way. Good idea.

I think the sensors have an advantage in the snow dept, but damn thats a good idea.

Another idea I've seen several people on here use, is indoor sensors facing out the windows. Protected, cheaper, and probably easier to find power for!

S.

haha good, it's not me :slight_smile: thanks ill try again after next update!

Rik

I already have modes for house events - wake up, weekend, lunch time, day off etc that I use with heating, some lighting etc (eg heat the kitchen at breakfast and lunch but not from 930-1130) but don’t want to add more as it’s already quit confusing.

It would be really good to have multiple “modes”, with different state sets:

• light - dim, bright etc like yours
  • household - school day, weekend, school holiday
  • time of day - lunch, breakfast, etc
    Etc

So you could use them independently or in combination.

2 Likes

I have virtual switches for some sub-modes like that:

• Babysitter Mode, when our kids (no phones) are home without us, so presence sensors can't be trusted.
  • Solo Work Mode, when I'm working from home and everyone else is gone; my office should be lit, but the rest of the house treats it as equivalent to Away unless my door opens.
  • Movie Mode, when the TV is on and the lights should be dimmer in that area.

But yes, I agree that too many distinct modes gets confusing, particularly with all the rules that have to be touched to account for a new one.

2 Likes