Nest integration

I see it, awesome! Thanks!

Can you add support for the Nest Protects?

Possibly, although there are a couple of issues there:

1. I donā€™t have one, so I canā€™t test it
  2. I donā€™t think Hubitat currently supports server-sent events (but I could be wrong), which is how Nest sends push updates, and Iā€™m not sure how useful a Protect driver would be without live updates.

My Nest driver polls the Nest service at a configurable interval (5, 15, 30 minutes) for updates, which is fine for a thermostat, but less good for a smoke alarm. A Protect driver could poll faster, but Nest recommends no more than once per minute.

@jason0x43

Got the integration working, thanks! However, I donā€™t see the ability to set ā€œHOME/AWAYā€ is there a possibility to add this?

edit:
Also am I not sure what the state ā€œtemperatureā€ is linked to? I assumed it would be Ambient Temperature or Outside Temperature, but I cannot seem to pinpoint this. Would it be possible to have a state for ā€œheating/cooling setpointā€ listed as a temperature too? I like to have alerts for if windows are opened when the outside temperature is less than or greater than the heating/cooling setpoint.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Sure, thatā€™s a possibility. I didnā€™t add it at first because ā€œecoā€ mode is essentially the same thing for thermostats and was more straightforward. (Home/away is a structure-level property, while eco is a per-thermostat setting, and I only have one Nest. :slight_smile: )

Indoor and outdoor temperatures arenā€™t currently reported, although that will be simple enough. Currently the driver reports:

• heatingSetpoint (if set)
  • coolingSetpoint (if set)
  • humidity
  • sunblockActive
  • sunblockEnabled
  • thermostatMode
  • thermostatFanMode

Everything is also always in Fahrenheit at the moment; It will eventually use the userā€™s preference from Nest.

Thanks for the detailed explanations.

I would love to see the home/away control, nests built in home/away assist is kind of flakey, so having hubitat control it seems to be a plus.

As I explained in my last post, I should also like to be able to use RM to alert me if a window is open whole the outside temperature is less than heating setpoint.

I can currently use water underground driver for outside temperature but I donā€™t see a way to compare it to nest heating setpoint currently (unless Iā€™m missing something).

Thanks again

That's what I use 'eco' mode for. When everyone leaves, I switch the thermostat to eco. When someone gets back, I switch it back to whatever it should be (heat, cool, heat-cool). Home/away is just a different UI for doing that.

I don't believe thermostat set points are supported by RM, only mode ('heat', 'cool', etc.) and state ('heating', 'cooling', etc.).

Yes, but for those of us with more nest devices (cameras, protects, etc) the eco mode setting does not change their operation where home/away does, home/away control would allow both control of the other devices settings and eco mode for the thermostat. So, it seems it would be a worthwhile addition/change?

Got ya, didn't realize this was a limitation of RM, I used webcore for a longtime.

It is. I always think in terms of a single thermostat by default because I've never had more than one Nest product. :slight_smile:

Understandable, not criticizing your work in anyway, just offering suggestions/requests that would make it EVEN better!

Hmmmā€¦so I have home/away working (in my dev environment), but it occurs to me weā€™ll still need something more since RM canā€™t handle home/away, or even just setting the thermostatMode of a Nest to ā€œecoā€ (RM only supports the modes it understands).

My current thought is to update the integration app so that a single instance will work with a single structure, and then let you select presence sensors that should be monitored by the app to set home/away mode,

Obviously my plan was to have RM set the Nest to Home/Away based on hubitat's location mode:

If Hubitat location mode becomes "away" then set Nest mode to "away"

I know it was possible to set the home/away mode in ST NST Manager app, but if this is too much trouble, please don't spend too much time on it.

Thanks again

Just a thought, would it be possible to create a ā€œchildā€ app that would just sync the home/away mode of nest to specific modes of hubitat? That way itā€™s not dependent on RMā€™s ability to control it?

Oh yeah, I forgot about ā€œmodesā€. That shouldnā€™t be an issue; itā€™s basically what I was thinking of doing with the integration app, just with modes rather than presence sensors. I can just add an option to use Hubitatā€™s mode or presence sensors.

1 Like

I like this strategy a lot! Iā€™m not a fan of having the controller control the set points of the temperature. I like Nestā€™s existing scheduling feature. Simply setting it to home/away is awesome! Then, as seasons change, I can easily change the thermostat set points on Nest and not worry about getting all the different set points adjusted in Hubitat.

Been using this for a couple of days, and it has been pretty good. Today I tried to use the auto command and I'm getting this:

app:822018-04-12 06:13:40.684:errorToo Many Requests on line 259

app:822018-04-12 06:13:39.533:tracePutting [hvac_mode:heat-cool] to /devices/thermostats/Ej9JrJdcZST2rWADKsVoP7KuET8TfrMm

Any thoughts?
Craig

I am trying to do this through rule machine with custom commands. I already have rules for mode changes there. it seems to work for eco, but not yet for auto.
Craig

1 Like

Nest rate-limits write requests, and making frequent adjustments to a Nest (more than one per minute over a couple of minutes) can trigger that error. The limiter will reset after a while, although I'm not sure exactly how long.

RM Custom commands working for eco, heat, cool for me, however ā€¦ @jason0x43, I would request Home/Away also, here is my scenario:

I donā€™t use Auto mode for my thermostat, I run my nest in heat or cool mode depending on the time of year. This is so the wife can easily walk up and turn the dial, she cannot tolerate the navigation and clicking involved with Auto mode :wink:

I can set RM to engage eco when hubitat goes into away mode, but when it comes back to home mode I have to make a specific choice of heat or cool. RM canā€™t just turn eco off and let it revert to whatever mode it was previously ā€¦ however, if you can take advantage of Nestā€™s native home/away states, it does take care of that for you. (Iā€™m using Other Hub pusher and virtual switches to trigger the home/away state in ST NST)

I hope I described that clearly.

Sounds like my testing of my new nest control rules broke me :slight_smile: Will limit my validation frequency.

BTW, The NEST implementation has been a big help for me to get my KEEN vent SW working again.
Thanks,
Craig