Nest Developer access now live

I believe he's referring to this post.

3 Likes

100% I love the protects, crazy money yes but I love them.

2 Likes

I believe that was because nothing was finalized so they had no plans to jump on it before it was finished. As with all things, that stance may now change, if it's now open and available, time depending it may be put back on the magic board somewhere :slightly_smiling_face:.

1 Like

While I would love for that to happen, I suspect there are practicalities that will hamper native integration. First, Google seemed to suggest that the API has been accessible to commercial developers for at least a few months now (yesterday was when the API opened up to individual developers). So, if that's the case, HE might have already seen the finished API and chosen to not jump on it. Second, and this is the bigger one that could explain the first, Google imposes obligations on commercial developers like HE that it does not impose on individual developers. Things like security requirements, etc. that mean HE would spend meaningful time and money on the integration. I don't know how those requirements compare to what HE might have to do for other native integrations, but if the requirements are much more onerous then I suspect there's a chance native integration never happens.

In any event, I don't have any inside insight into HE intentions, of course, so take my pessimism with a grain of salt. Suffice to say I believe the HE community should develop a community integration rather than waiting (perhaps forever) for a native integration.

Note that yesterday's info is very careful to not even list what the commercial accounts COST.

(I mean surely no one thought they were free, right??)

My guess is that even if they could get the code to meet Google's VERY nebulous requirements (seriously - go read the commercial use requirements), cost would be the next hurdle.

3 Likes

Hey Hubitat guys!
It's finally possible to add Google Nest devices into the mix!
Please make this happen!
We'll be patiently waiting for something great from you!
Can't wait! :smile:

4 Likes

Looks like no access to nest protect motion/presence sensor data yet.

Yep, I have one Nest smoke detector and won't put in anymore until I can integrate it with HE etc Hopefully it is coming.

2 Likes

Nest Protect and home status are not included in their new API :disappointed:

2 Likes

Yet, the blog post says they plan on adding more devices.

2 Likes

I’m extremely skeptical of this integration for no other reason than google has a strong history of just [dropping](https://killedbygoogle.com/) support for things. I hope it goes well, but I’m tothe point I won’t buy any google product that would rely on an api like this.

6 Likes

I'm probably an outlier but I'm not sure how I'll use this integration. I use Hubitat for automations and I use Google Home for manual controls. So I need Google Home to see Hubitat but I'm not sure I need Hubitat to see Google Home. I would like to use the presence capability of the Nest devices in Hubitat automations, but that doesn't appear to be something that gets exposed. That said I did fork over the 5$$ to play around with it.

I'm in the same boat.. but, I've already got 3 Nest thermostats and no plans on replacing them. And at least it seems like the API would work just fine to manage them today

I wonder though how easy/fast it is to become a 'partner' to be able to use this outside of the sandbox?

I'd like to be able to see/control my 3 Nest thermostats on my dashboard. I don't change them too often so more for viewing the current temp.

I'm also curious about the doorbell camera.. if I could view a livestream on my dashboard that might be worth getting one.. although i'm unsure if it'd work w/out paying the monthly fee (which is why I don't have a doorbell camera yet)

Same. Google has proven to be untrustworthy in their hardware and device support for everything other than the vanilla Chromecast.

They even killed the Chromecast Audio that was widely used in whole home audio setups.

I'm voting with my wallet when it comes to google/nest hardware.

I'll do without before I'll buy a nest product.

3 Likes

Yeah, I'm probably an outlier. The doorbell cam would be a question mark, you can use it with out a fee and get livestreaming but would the API require the monthly fee to expose that to other devices?

I'd like to be able to turn a camera on or off. But I don't see that in the API unless i'm missing it. At least I can now integrate the doorbell into HE tho!

The thing I find somewhat pathetic with this, is the lack of support (still) for 3rd gen hot water support :cry:

God if i could get nest integrated into HE i would die happy. I really want to use all the temp sensors in my house as remote sensors for nest. i have two thermostats i would want to integrate.

Your comment reminded me of when I had an ecobee4 and kept wishing they would eventually get their servers fixed to where there weren't outages every other week. Finally bit the bullet and cut the bounding chains from cloud devices and went with a zigbee thermostat and now use all the temp sensors in the house to control it, never been happier and would highly recommend to everyone to ditch the cloud devices.

2 Likes