Need to extend zigbee range outside

Hey @thekidb, how's the new job with Sylvania going? :joy::joy:

Honestly, though - that's spectacular range!

1 Like

I haven't measured exactly, but the second jump may be more like 250'. I also tried an Iris V1 outlet there last night, and it worked just fine. I also tested both the Sylvania and Iris V1 outlets inside a plastic junction box and inside my barn. That amounts to 2 layers of "stuff" in between the two units...…..the plastic box and 1.5" of wood. Both units functioned perfectly.

The Sylvania 72922-A as the repeater seems to be what is making this work.

I am working on a similar range issue to get a zigbee signal about 300+ feet away what did u use for a weatherproof container? Thanks for ur input.

Used a waterproof junction box from Lowe's.

You'll have to drill for wire entry and use a waterproof clamp where the wire enters. My repeater is actually mounted in the top of my well casing, so it's enclosed by that. I have had no issues with the signal on the outlets mounted in plastic. I have two that are mounted in the boxes and secured to 2x6 rafters so they have 1.5" of wood plus the box that the signal has to travel through. I held up a piece of roofing tin in front of the outlet and it dropped out immediately. Plastic and wood.....OK. Metal.....not so much, as would be expected.

I have also added a contact sensor in my barn that is repeating through the outlet. No issues with it so far.

Good luck.

1 month later. Contact sensor and two outlets in the barn repeating through an outlet 250' away. The outlet/repeater itself is 175' from the house.

Everything normal and responding 100% of the time.

2 Likes

This is unfortunately a very high cost solution if you have to buy a rural location too.
Jealous.

3 Likes

I followed your suggestions with the double gang Cantex Box. I was shocked by how little room was in the box after using the Sylvania 72922-A and a male plug and wiring to complete the circuit. (should have take a pic of the guts but I was on a ladder and glad to be finished). That Plug is operating some Dekkor Dock Dot Lights that I am installing into the boards on the dock.

In regards to the signal repeater, I am trying to get a signal out to the end of my dock. The 72922-A is located at the beginning of my dock on a post 100+ feet from the hub and then the dock is approx 250' long (see pics). I have tested the signal to the end of the dock with an Iris 3210-L and the app on my phone and it is probably the quickest connection in the whole house that is approximately 350' away from the hub, it just amazes me.

My concerns are many as this is a coastal saltwater environment and it eats up any material that is not built for the saltwater environment so this is a test to see how long the switch/repeater will last. I am shocked that I cannot find any Zigbee outdoor switches/repeaters, it just seems like there would be a market for that product.

Also on the pole where I have the cantex box I also have a Phillips Hue Outdoor motion detector and Gledopto RGB zigbee light that I use for some late night motion detection and subsequent lights that come on around the house. This project will continue to grow as I still have to outfit the end of the dock with some smart features and I really haven't decided on how that will end up.

1 Like

Glad it's working for you chuck1. Good luck with the environment. All I can suggest is to caulk every nook and cranny you can.

1 Like

Very nice, checking in 100 years later. How is the Iris plug holding up? In my limited testing, the Iris plug has an incredible signal, both send and receive, making for a very strong mesh.