Need to Build an Xbee Zigbee repeater need help

Can someone please show me a link to all the parts needed to build an Xbee zigbee repeater did a search but couldn't get a clear answer of the board and parts and software needed to build it.

Here's a post I wrote where I summarized the various options. It's a couple years old at this point, but I think all the model names and whatnot are still applicable. I'd go with an Xbee 3 now unless you have a reason to use (or can only find) the S2C, but I think everything else still holds:

As I mentioned there, the two main pieces you'll need are mostly the Xbee module itself and a "board" to power and, for at least configuration, provide a data connection to it. Digi's Xbee Grove Dev Board is a full-featured choice for the latter but not super cheap--but unlike super-cheap options from random vendors, you'll know it works. Other boards can usually be made to work, and I only have one or two Grove boards and use cheaper ones to just power my devices when they're in use. If you only have one Xbee, you may just want to take the easy route. (You'll also need some things you probably already have, like a micro USB cable to connect things.)

For where to buy: DigiKey and Mouser are popular choices for where to buy these components if you're in the US. I've usually used DigiKey. eBay and Amazon probably have something, too, but the specific models may not be as easy to find.

Ok so to be clear I only need one part or do I have to assemble a board and other pieces?

FYI if you are only going to use it to strengthen your mesh you might consider getting ikea/hue outlets or similar as they will probably work out to be cheaper.

1 Like

ok thx guys I have some V2 iris plugs right now and I made the mistake of also turning on the z wave side and now my ring keypads connected to my C-7 are dead slow to respond and I have been trying to exclude the z wave side with no luck so i'm just going to pull the whole plug and replace with a zigbee repeater and buy separate z wave repeaters

You need two parts, the Xbee module itself and a board to power it. All you have to do is put the Xbee into the board, which is very easy (and make sure the mounting type of your Xbee matches that of the board, like through-hole vs. surface-mount, which you can see from the parts list I linked to in my post; I think through-hole is far more popular, or at least that's what I happen to see more of). But you also have to configure the Xbee, which will require following the instructions in that thread (and using a computer with XCTU installed).

I should also mention that I second the above option--pre-made options like the Ikea USB repeaters don't need any configuration and are also small, plus nearly any (mains or USB) powered Zigbee device will also repeat. But the Xbee does seem to be an attractive repeater for many devices on my network. :slight_smile:

Yep totally agree xbees are #1 for zigbee use (I have a couple of S2Cs, one of which I use for mesh mapping) but they are horrendously pricey (especially now the series 2 is no longer available).

I've also experimented with CC2350/CC2591 combos and they do work ok as well as being cheaper (although still bested by xbees). @biggkatt01 there is a tutorial on the zigbee2mqtt site on how to set this up which may be worth a look also,

ok super good stuff guys i'll check both posts out i'm busy trying to get thses damn iris z wave plugs excluded man this sucks.

@biggkatt01 Once you pull the power from the plug, if you go to the Zwave Details page and hit refresh on the device a few times it should eventually give you a remove button. After you get it removed I'd consider doing a shutdown and unplug the hub from the wall for 30 seconds or so.

1 Like

Thx thebearmay, I was able to get them excluded late last night I unplugged all 4 of my hubs for about 30 mins and low and behold me z wave mesh is back to normal.

2 Likes

I use these and they work well.
XBee Explorer Dongle $25.95
XBee S2C with the pcb antenna $23.10
I got 2 of each and put one on the first floor and the other on the second floor. I may do one more for the basement.
I set them up with XCTU
You can find everything you could possibly need to know at
Everything Xbee
I Spent a week tinkering with it.
These are my settings... for whatever its worth.
XBeeS2C
Networking
ID,your pan id
SC,7FFF
SD,3
ZS,2
NJ,FF
NW,0
JV,1
JN,0
OP,your pan id
OI,7728
CH,14
NC,14
CE,0
DO,8
DC,0
Addressing
SH,13A200
SL,41A2A976
MY,114D
MP,FFFE
DH,0
DL,FFFF
NI,Xbee2
NH,FF
BH,0
AR,6
DD,3000C
NT,3C
NO,3
NP,FF
CR,0
Zigbee Addressing
SE,E8
DE,E8
CI,11
TO,6
RF Interfacing
PL,4
PM,1
PP,9
Security
EE,1
EO,1
KY,5a6967426565416c6c69616e63653039
NK,0
Serial Interfacing
BD,9600
NB,0
SB,0
RO,3
D6,0
D7,1
AP,1
AO,1
AT Command Options
CT,64
GT,3E8
CC,2B
Sleep Modes
SP,AF0
SN,130
SM,0
ST,1388
SD,0
WH,0
PO,0
I/O Settings
DO,1
D1,0
D2,0
D3,0
D4,0
D5,1
D8,0
D9,1
PO,1
P1,0
P2,0
P3,1
P4,1
PR,1FBF
PD,1FFF
LT,0
RP,28
I/O Sampling
IR,0
IC,0
V+,0
Diagnostic Commands
VR,4061
HV,2E4B
AI,0
DB,4C
%V,CF3
It's not exactly cheap but I did 2 of these and it made my Zigbee mesh pretty solid in a fairly large 3 floor home.

There's no reason not to use the Zigbee side of these plugs for repeaters since you exluded the z-wave already. I have at least 10 plugs and not all are for z-wave repeaters but all 10 are for Zigbee repeaters.

1 Like

Thx tjward I found both on Amazon for $52.52 we have Amazon prime shipping is free and 2 day.

Here's another alternative:

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.