Need Some Help - Portion of Rule Didn't fire last night

Need some help here regarding Rule Machine. Here is the rule:

As it's been cold here in FL the past few weeks, I modified this rule the other day so that the ceiling fan does not automatically start when the temperature is under 75 F in the master bedroom.

Last night, the temperature was 76 F, and the ceiling fan did not turn on. The logs for the ceiling fan switch are empty for this time period.

I think the logic is correct, just want verification...as it's (finally) warming up here, will most likely get another test tonight.

Assuming you want this all to happen when mode becomes "Sleep," your logic looks fine to me. Do note that with regard to your particular action in question, this will just check what the temperature is at the time when your IF is reached. If it's less than 75 but becomes greater than or equal to 75, the fan will turn on then. If mode becomes sleep and then later the temperature becomes 75 or more, nothing will happen -- you're already past that point in your rule actions.

If you're not sure what a rule is doing when, the most helpful thing besides checking your logic is to enable logging. "Events" and "Actions" are generally the most helpful, but whatever you want may be enough. These will appear in "Logs" under either current or past logs, depending on when you open the logs page (do note that there is a size-based limit to past logs).

1 Like

Side note unrelated to your question... you could also make your rule a bit less unruly (pun intended) by creating a scene to handle all the things you turn off, and use metering for the delay.

I tried a couple of different approaches, and this was the best way when trying to turn off 60+ Z-wave devices.

Originally, I put them all in one group (with metering) and had sporadic results. All it takes is 1 devices to "forget" how to get "home" and the mesh bandwidth becomes clogged up.

I grouped the devices by "rooms" and keep the groups to under 10 devices, with a metering value of 100 ms. With this approach, the automation for 60+ Z-wave devices has always worked.

I added the conditional to turn on the fan at a certain temperature when it was cold (as I was getting tired to waiting by the fan switch to manually turn it off - hehe)...and now that it was warm enough, the fan didn't kick on.

As @bertabcd1234 points out, that conditional will evaluate only once and only milliseconds after mode becomes sleep. So for all intents and purposes if the temperature is not >75 at the moment mode changes to sleep, the fan will never come on. If the mode changes to sleep and then a few minutes or hours later the temperature becomes >75 the fan won't turn on because the rule has long since been completed.

If you want the fan to kick on when the temperature is above 75 it might be easiest to create a second rule with that as a trigger. If you want it only to happen when mode is sleep then make that a required expression in the new rule.

1 Like

Thank you all for the replies.

I rebooted the hub last night, and all portions of the rule fired.

The intent of this rule is to turn on the ceiling fan when I set the house alarm to stay...which changes the mode to sleep...if the temperature is >= 75F.

That's it.

No use having the ceiling fan come on automatically when no one is in the master bedroom!

1 Like

Gotcha. But what if the heat rises to 76 10 minutes later? Just sweat it out?

75 F was a negotiation with The Wife.

Currently, the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is at an all-time high of 93.784% with the addition of "Double Tap to Turn on/off All Lanai Lights" (for morning doggie business) and correcting the bug in "Laundry Room Light Stays on While Wife is in Laundry Room" introduced by not properly compensating for how the Coriolis affect can affect the migration habits of Albino Moths.

I would be concerned of a negative impact to the WAF if the master bedroom ceiling fan "randomly" turned on and off during the night...will have to do more study to see if this is worth the risk.

Ah yes. I track SPAF, which is similar to WAF. I had to turn off all geofencing and get really creative about presence to keep SPAF in the green. Apparently "tracking me wherever I go" lowers SPAF significantly. My fan does not turn on automatically but it does turn off when the bed is empty.