Need help with failing devices

Sounds like a weekend job. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks for all the help.

~~Andy

2 Likes

Definitely post back.... Also back up your DB after each major change and save it to your pc... This will help down the line if you get a corrupt database. You can restore from backup after a softreset to clean it all up.

1 Like

Well, it looks like those 4 ghost devices are stuck. I removed the power to the 12 devices with the same device class, and tried hitting remove 20 times each. No luck.

I did notice that the RTT(return trip time?) for those devices is large, 65000 ms, meaning over a minute! Does that give us any clues? I also noticed that during one of my many tries to remove it, one of the devices' RTT changed from 65000 to 45000 ms.

Anyway, I bought the z stick and I'll try that route. The Silicon Labs is backordered, so I got the Zooz.

Thanks,

~~Andy

1 Like

Interesting. I checked at mouser.com and digikey.com, and both are out of stock. I’ve bought the SLUSB001A from both before.

FYI, Silicon Labs seems to have a new part number for the USB stick - SLUSB7000A.

I ordered 2 of them. Let's see who wins. I ordered the Silicon Labs directly from them, and a Zooz from someone who had it in stock.

Details on ghost removal using UZB stick, if you haven't seen it yet, are here:

Tagging @bcopeland in case he can help, or if your current situation can help figure out how to fix this for future users.

In case he needs the information - what platform version are you on?

2 Likes

I'm on 2.3.0.115, but I was on 2.2.9.146 earlier today. After trying to remove the ghost devices, I did the upgrade and tried again.

Ok, I got the UZB stick, and after wrestling with the software installs, I managed to remove all the ghost devices. Woohoo!!!

I saw 2 failures, but they are both dashboard reporting failures, not automation failures.

In the upper right, the thermostat setpoint shows as 63, but it is actually 74.
In the lower left, the Living room shows yellow, indicating the light is on, but it is off. Let's wait until tonight to see if that light really turns on.

~~Andy

2 Likes

I have seen odd reporting issues get resolved by excluding and then including zwave devices. If it doesn't resolve itself erhaps your ghosts prevented full inclusion originally?

The Linear Lamp Module is a very old design. I read somewhere that the early 500 series Z-Wave devices don't report status back. Dunno if that's true or not. That being said, I hae a few much newer Z-Wave switches that exhibit this behaviour, where physical changes at the switch are not reflected on the dashboard.

Original z-wave doesn't report status due to copyright issues with Lutron. z-wave plus supports reporting status. The solution is to install the z-wave poller app

2 Likes

Nope, patent issues with a now-expired patent.

2 Likes

Sorry, patent not copyright my bad on terms

3 Likes

I have a few original Z-wave devices, but damn things keep working so I can't really justify replacing them. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wait….WHAT?
The justification is that they’re making everything slow and less reliable. Your afraid they might catch the house on fire, or give you cancer. Z-wave is a scourge, but you could replace them with some nice GE Zigbee 3.0 dimmers and save the world.

4 Likes

Wow, thanks, I needed to be slapped, perfect timing! :wink:

Gotta run, there's a world that needs saving...

clark kent GIF

3 Likes

Or......Caseta?

Drop Mic GIF by Captain Obvious

1 Like

So I let this soak for a few weeks and watched for failures. I still have the light that fails every other day, and in addition, I had 3 other failures. Is that better that it was before I removed the ghosts? Maybe, I really didn't keep accurate records, but it feels like there was some improvement.

The light that fails every other day is very consistent, and it stills feels like a SW bug, but I'm curious what you all think.

Here is the log:

As you can see the light was turned on on 12/14, 12/16, 12/18, etc. On the odd days, it doesn't turn on.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

~~Andy

Maybe I missed something above, but I don't see what is actually failing (not doubting that something is, just wondeing what). I assume you have an app set up to do something and it's not doing what you expect? Sharing a screenshot of that app's configuration may be helpful. If it the app has options for logging, turning those on may help reveal further details about the problem (app problem vs. device problem, for example).