Need help with "Echo Speaks" and Rule Machine

Hi,

I got Echo Speaks up and running very nicely. Thank you @tonesto7!

But I need a little help getting it to work with Rule Machine:

I need a little help getting Echo Speaks working with Rule Machine

Several questions:

1. Can I get a command sent to an Echo group? I have a group called ā€œHomeā€ with all my Echos. Echo-Home shows up as one of my Echo Speaks devices, but the only command I get to work with that group is setVolume().

2. For individual Echos, how do I get them to play a specific radio station? I created a custom command called searchTuneIn('BBC World Service UK'). This command runs fine when I manually run it on any of my Echos. But it doesnā€™t work when I use it as a custom command in Rule Machine.

3. Similar playFlashBrief() plays my flash briefing perfectly when I test it manually. But it doesnā€™t work through Rule Machine.

My Rule Machine rules are below:

The commands that work are:

1. setVolume(50)
  2. Speak on Echo
  3. setVolume(30)
  4. Command: searchAmazonMusic('Swing Jazz')

The commands that don't work are:
playFlashBrief()
searchTuneIn('BBC World Service UK')

What am I doing wrong?

Sorry I canā€™t help, but Iā€™m wondering what youā€™re using for bed presence sensing?

@marktheknife

I'm using SleepIQ - Sleep Number bed

1 Like

Did you ever get an answer to this? This just reads the literal text, which is... for my purposes completely useless.

Yup - it works fine. However, you have to set it up using CustomActions in Rule Machine.

1 Like

It would be super helpful to have a screenshot of a working rule. I'll post one as soon as I have one...

I've found "Set Mode or Variables, Run Custom Action"
I choose "Run Custom Action"
then it wants me to "Set capability of Action Device". What should this be? None of the options in the drop down seem to apply.

I'm not at my Hubitat right now. But from memory, the device you should choose should be "Music Player".

@bill

Just checked - the device should definitely be music player. I made a screen-capture video to possibly help:

ty that did it.

Have you had any luck with multi-room "WHA" devices? This works on single devices, but my multi-room devices don't play anything even though they're discovered by Echo Speaks.

I don't know. I use Sonos speakers for multi room devices.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.