Need help with Aqara button and Google assistant

Hello all,
I've been searching and just can't find what I'm looking for.

I'm new to hubitat and hubs in general.

I have a Google n'est and run my 'automations' through Google assistant in Google home.

I purchased the C7, I added a ZigBee Aqara button and I want to integrate it with my TP-link wifi smart lights that are in the Google home system.
I'm looking to create a simple on/off action
If I can do something more complicated like when button is pushed, turn kitchen lights to 50% brightness, colour warm white.

I try to add my hubitat to Google home but I get this error "no devices were found in your hubitat account" see screenshot:

I have the Aqara button showing in Hubitat, but I don't see a dashboard anywhere, not do I see how to create one.

I've watched every YouTube video I could find and I think my question is so basic that no one has covered it yet.

Thanks in advance,
James

Welcome aboard! Your account was too new and didn't meet the minimum system requirements for the spam protection. I have updated your account manually, so you should be able to share media now. Regarding Google Home, our current integration only supports switches, dimmers, thermostats, RGB, RGBW and ColorTemperature bulbs connected directly to Hubitat Elevation hub. For more on this integration, please check out the following document:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Google_Home

1 Like

Thank you very much!

I've uploaded the screenshots to better show that I'm talking about.

Thank you for the link. I see that Google can control what we add to the hubitat, but not vice versa, by that logic, the button I added is useless, right?

The only way to do this with Google assistant is to add a middle-man application called Google Assistant Relay on a separate computer or Raspberry Pi.

Contrast this to Alexa where you simply add a few lines of code to Hubitat, and it can trigger an Alexa Routine when you press the button.

Google has a nice Smarthome UI on the Google Nest Hubs, and they’re great at retrieving information, but their refusal to allow anything but voice or a time trigger to control their routines is unacceptable to me.
They can easily allow this, but after years of people requesting this feature, they still won’t do it.

1 Like

As @SmartHomePrimer highlighted, Google's rule engine doesn't allow other triggers except for voice and time. However, as announced 2 years ago, they are releasing additional triggers soon

2 Likes

Thank you to both of you.

As it stands I only own several Google products and wifi only lights and switches.

At this moment in time my Hubitat hub is useless correct?

Things that could eventually make it useful is if Google finally allows it to send commands and/or if I buy ZigBee or Zwave products. Or a Alaxa/Amazon/Echo wtv product that could also run commands to wifi products.

Additionally:
Will I only be about to see the dashboard once I have a ZigBee product registered?

Your hub is by no means useless. The bulbs you have are not directly supported, but there is a community integration for TP-Link bulbs if you want to try that.

2 Likes

As you build your smart home environment, you can still get a lot of use out of a robust rule engine of your choice that Hubitat can offer. Even if your Wi-Fi devices may not be directly integrated, they may have an IFTTT channel that you can use right away with your button or a Hubitat virtual switch. You will not be taking advantage of Hubitat's fast and reliable local processing, but it could be a good start as you add more local devices to Hubitat.

1 Like