Need help sending Data from Hubitat Devices to Google Sheets

Hey all!
I was trying to graph Temperature data from a number of Hubitat sensors by sending it to a Google Sheet, following the instructions given in this thread: https://community.hubitat.com/t/how-to-store-data-in-google-sheets-directly-from-rm5/85353

I managed to get through the first 3 Steps without any issue, but I think I'm struggling a bit around step 4.
in that step @LibraSun Suggested:

If you intend for the data to come from another source (e.g. device parameter) then your rule must set dataA , dataB , etc. at runtime. And if another rule will be used to set those values, make sure that dataA , dataB , etc. are all Hub Variables, not local ones.

I tried to set the data to come from 3 Temperature sensors, but it doesn't seem to work, and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I added Actions in Rule Machine to try to set the Variables to reflect the data being collected by the 3 Temperature sensors:

But I'm not doing something correctly.... I select the device, but I can't seem to isolate the Temperature readings (see the above).

The Google Sheet populated once with bogus Numbers, then hasn't updated since....
image (Note that the top row were inputted 'initial values')
what am I doing wrong? :stuck_out_tongue:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2 Likes

Probably too late, but I decided to give this a try today and came across your post. I had only one issue - I had to use POST instead of GET. Other than that, everything seems to be working well. Not sure if you still need help, but I've attached some screenshots in case someone else faces similar troubles in the future.

Here are the variables:

Actions:

For the two types of actions, the set variable I create one per data

This is my post:

This is my spreadsheet :slight_smile:

I decided to send a new row every time one of the variables changed, instead by time. If I'm happy with the results, I may create a script to remove or collapse the data into a new spreadsheet with an average per hour or something, so I can control the number of rows.

Lastly, I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the original post, but it's very simple to share this in your dashboard by publishing the graph and using IFrameAdvanced.

PS: in your post, looks like you are accessing a device that has no value temperature. Maybe that property has no valid value. Check in the device what value has this property. For your screenshots, the values are null

1 Like

I added a script so the spreadsheet doesn't grow to the infinite, just in case.
The google script is:

/** @OnlyCurrentDoc */
function keepNumRowsUnderControl() {
  const maxRows = 10000
  const marginRows = 1000;
  const doc = SpreadsheetApp.getActiveSpreadsheet();
  const sheet = doc.getSheetByName("Form Responses 1");
  const lastRow = sheet.getLastRow();
  if (lastRow>maxRows) {
    sheet.deleteRows(2, lastRow-maxRows+marginRows);
  }
}

And the trigger is on_change in the document.
I remove the first columns when the document exceeds 10000, leaving the document on 9000.
I will probably make this number lower and maybe use other types of logic so I have last month graph or something like that.

It is an excellent method to have this info and evaluate if it is worth it to create the influxdb solution and maintain another app.

PS: thanks @LibraSun, for the original post! Great idea!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.