Need device driver for Leviton Plug-in Dimmer, DZPD3-2BW

I own 5 of the Leviton Plug-in Dimmers, model DZPD3-2BW. They worked just fine when I was using a Wink Hub 2, but since I switched over to a Hubitat Elevation, they won’t work correctly.

I notice that there is a device driver for the Leviton wall switch dimmer, DZ6HD, but not any device drivers for the Plug-in Dimmers, DZPD3-2BW. Does Hubitat have a driver for the Leviton Plug-in dimmers and if so, how do I get it? (My Hubitat Elevation is at the latest version of the firmware, (2.2.1.116)

When I do a Z-wave device discovery for the Leviton Plug-in dimmer, the Hubitat hub comes back and defaults the dimmer to a Generic Z-Wave CentralScene Dimmer. I have also tried the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer and Generic Z-wave Smart Dimmer drivers but I still have problems.

I am having two types of problems. 1) Either the LED bulbs won’t dim/brighten at all or if they do the range is very narrow. 2) Certain brands of LED bulbs, like the GE Refresh LED brand, will not work at all, no matter the dimmer setting. Other brands such as Cree or Sylvania/Osram only partially work.

I contacted Leviton technical support and they weren’t even aware of the Hubitat Elevation hub and told me to use either a Wink or Smart Things hub. Someone at Hubitat needs to communicate with Leviton technical support and make them aware of your existence.

Please also let me know if there is a driver for the Leviton Plug-in Appliance Module, Model DZPA1-1LW. Right now I am using the Generic Z-Wave Switch driver, which does work to turn on/off some table fans.

Please let me know the appropriate device driver to use with the Leviton Plug-in Dimmer model DZPD3-2BW. This is a big problem for me that I need to get solved.

A search for DZPD3 will show a long discussion or two about the device along with potential solutions.

I have one of these and am using the Generic Z-Wave Dimmer driver without issue.

I read that long thread and one guy mentioned a Leviton Decora plug-in driver, but it isn't in the list of currently available device drivers and it isn't on the Hubitat device compatibility list.

Many usable devices are not in the official list. Community written drivers fill in the gap. Some devices may also have buggy firmware and you may have to update that to use a driver and device to it's fullest. Or you could replace your hardware with official devices. Most of us here have a mix of both official and community and it's not unheard of for community drivers and at least one developer to become official.

Just wanted to let you know that I have received a message back from Leviton technical support. They said that the DZPD3 plug-in dimmer uses the same internal dimming engine as the in-wall DZ6HD dimmer. So it shares the same bulb compatibility and should function well using the DZ6HD device driver.

I have tried using the Leviton DZ6HD device drive and it appears to function well.

BTW, if you are looking for an LED Bulb compatibility list for the dimmer, it can be found at
https://www.leviton.com/en/led-compatibility#t=Bulb&sort=%40led_bulb_title%20ascending&f:@led_dimmer_basic=[DZ6HD-1BZ]

2 Likes

Hello Cliffwmartin - I was reading over your post and I'm in the same exact situation as you are. I also Had a Wink 2 Hub and had to disconnect it because of them having long outages lasting over 3 weeks so I got feed up and decided to go with Hubitat. I also have 5 DZPD3 Plug-in Dimmers. And I was able to added them successfully but in the device section it is not giving me the option to turn them on and off. It just says refresh. I've successfully reset each dimmer to factory and exclusion, attempted to readd them as DZ6HD as recommended but Im having the same issue. I was reading That I may need to install drivers if so what drivers do I need to install. The hubitat platform is completely different than Wink and I feel like Im getting a little over my head - Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

Welcome to the Hubitat forums! I am also a Wink refugee, but from 3 years ago when things were just starting to go downhill. It is a bit of an adjustment, but you will get there. Wink wasn't doing anyone a favor by being overly simplistic. Most hubs are a bit more complicated than Wink.

This sounds like it paired as "Device" instead of choosing a driver. That is the default way Hubitat pairs if it can't decide what driver to use or a device doesn't exactly match a driver.

Go to the device's settings page, and about halfway down in the right column there is a "Type" box with a dropdown.

What is the name listed in that box?

Note: this is a different device so don't change it to what I have shown here!

3 Likes

NICE!!! That did it!! :smile: :grin: :laughing:

1 Like

And then there was LIGHT!! LOL !! I've been in the dark of over 3 weeks.. Thanks again.

2 Likes