Need advice on an X10 XPT wall controller

I have a bedroom where a light will randomly stay on despite switching it off. I went to replace the switch and when I pulled it out I discover it's an x10 XPT wall controller, single switch.

Surprise to me as I don't see anything else x10 related in the house and I've been here 4 years.

This switch is the only one that controls that light. The wires are white and black in the XPT. Line and neutral.

I was going to just replace it with a dumb switch before I found out it's x10.

This is a bit over my head.

I've installed a few Zooz and Inovelli switches here. Could I try using one of those and just hook them up to the line and neutral on the new smart switch?

I'll probably hire an electrician but wanted to start here first.

I believe you probably should, what you don't know can hurt you.
However since you have already installed other smart switches I think maybe you could handle it with some preparation. Find the the X10 model number (These seem to be available on Amazon) and see if you can find the installation instructions. Compare it to the instructions for the new smart switch. If your not sure the difference maybe you could post your questions.
I suggest you do not move on DIY unless you fully understand the differences.

2 Likes

I agree with rich.princeau. If it is an XPT controller (with the horizontal switch) and it was previously turning the light on and off, there has to a be in in-line dimmer in the box where the light is. It could have been wired a few different ways and if you don’t have the equipment or knowledge to safely check it out, the electrician will be the smart way to go. I have an unused X-10 XPT still wired in my house. I rewired a standard switch-loop to provide the always on power to the XPT.

2 Likes