Need a litte guidance with zigbee

Hey all,

I am finally getting round to doing a little automation in my home, so far I have the following:
2X Ikea Tradfri Bulbs
2X Ikea Tradfri Outlets

10XIris Motion Sensors.

I am having issues with Zigbee strength, I can turn the ikea bulbs i've placed off and on using the Hubitat, but the Iris motion sensors simply do not engage when placing them in the same room.

I suspect they are too far away, which seems strange as the ikea bulb works. Just for clarification, I've moved the motion sensor in the same room as my HE and it engages and records a log.

Where are your motion sensors in relation to the Outlets? I don't know how or even if the bulbs repeat signals. Since moving the sensors closer to the Hub gets you something, The sensors are battery powered so the signal is likely less than a powered bulb. I will guess that you need more repeaters like the outlets spread through the areas that you want to have the motion sensors.

I've got 4 Tradfri outlets spread out evenly in 1800 sq ft single story home 36' x 50'. It's an early 60's brick home with plaster walls on metal lathe. With no repeating bulbs and only those 4 Tradri outlets all of my zigbee devices are solid. This includes 6 zigbee devices in an outbuilding sitting 24' from my hub location.

My hub is located very close to the exact center of the 36' x 50' house footprint.

One of the toughest known zigbee device I have when it comes to remaining connected to the a zigbee mesh, is a Hampton Bay zigbee ceiling fan units. I had to move one of my Tradfri outlets from a normal wall outlet height in the room with this zigbee ceiling fan controller, up to 60" off the floor and slightly closer to the ceiling fan to get and keep this zigbee device working.

I have found that those Tradfri units are not quite as strong of a repeater as other zigbee devices like the Iris 3210-l smart plugs.

What model Iris motion sensors? I think the v1 have really bad range.

The motion sensor works at about a 5 feet away from the outlet. it doesn't work when I stick it in the toilet which moves it about 6 feet away but into a small bricked room.

@mpoole32 that's very interesting, I do have Wifi points around the house I wonder if those are a problem.

I have put all my outlets and bulbs in close proximity to each other so it's odd that the sensor doesn't work.

@SmartHomePrimer it's V2

1 Like

What zigbee channel are you using, what 2.4GHz wifi channels are you using?

I ask, because when using a zigbee channel that overlaps with my wifi, I can knock my zigbee completely offline just by moving the hub close to any of my UniFi APs.

Obviously I choose a zigbee channel that overlaps as little as possible to avoid that, but it may be something for you to check if you haven't already.

In my house I use wifi channels 1 and 11. So for zigbee I use 17 and 18 (two separate zigbee networks). Some like ot use really high zigbee channels like 25, but I've had repeated issues with devices working correctly on channels 25 and 26, so I avoid them.

to be honest I don't know. I didn't have time to get that far into it last night. The little one is consuming all my time

Thanks man moving channels did the trick. my Wifi AP's are on 1 and 6 and zigbee on 15 for HUE and 20 for HE, seems to reach now.

Should I have HUE and Zigbee on same channel?

Separate channels is fine, if not better.

Channel 15 with wifi on 6 could be an issue, but if it is working, heck with it...

1 Like

Yeah, I am still getting some missfires with the sensor, so might need to strengthen my network, I’ll keep playing tho