Neato is officially kaput

I know there's a group of us who use our Neato vacuums with our Hubitat, so I thought this would be of interest. Neato is shutting down. Vorwerk Group (Neato's parent company in Germany) did say they'll keep the cloud services on for five more years, so I guess that's the silver lining.

Link to original article in German
TecHive Article

1 Like

Well that sucks. My D7 is getting a little run down. I tried a D9 and it was terrible. No go lines gone and now boxes only. Plus it kept getting lost.

2 Likes

Too bad. I like my neato d7. Oh well.

I'll have to look at something else when the D7 dies I guess.

Nice to see a company at least coming out of the gate saying they will keep cloud services alive. Might change in a year, but at least it gives users time to adjust at their own pace. Sort of like Logitech Harmony, the product has stopped being produced, but it seems the software has been maintained.

For those looking to switch, I highly recommend Roborock. I have 2 units (S6 & Q5) and they both have served me really well. S6 is downstairs on the laminate floors and rugs, and the Q5 is upstairs on the carpet. The mapping is superb. They rarely get stuck, usually on a dog or cat toy they ate, rarely do they get stuck on furniture. Q5 has an auto emptying dustbin that works well too, and is highly convenient and requires little maintenance.

The Hubitat integration side is sort of lacking, but it works well for me. I believe there is a direct integration with their cloud, but I don't use it. I just added them to Alexa and created a virtual door sensor in Hubitat. This way I can program them to run daily, given some criteria is met. Anything else like individual room cleaning, I do from the app manually.

Usually the large Amazon sales (Prime day, Black Friday) they are heavily discounted, usually $100+ off.

3 Likes

Oh, crap. I love my Neato D5 -- it just works great. I did just replace the battery after 5 years.

That's the one I see mentioned the most.
https://www.reddit.com/r/NeatoRobotics/comments/12v546g/what_brandmodel_are_you_going_to_buy_after_your/

1 Like

We have two Robot vacs (Eufy) and honestly they're more trouble than they're worth. Why? I have kids... Between nerf darts, wired headphones, plastic whatever including legos.... They just don't stand a chance.

1 Like

I totally agree this. I moved from a Neato D7 to Roborock S7 about 6 months ago. It was a tremendous improvement.

2 Likes

We had a Eufy and to put it mildly, it was a piece of Junk.. Could never get the thing to leave the kitchen or it was constantly getting stuck in the laundry room. Couldnt keep up with the GSD and pittie hairs. W just picked up a roborock, and I have to say I'm very impressed so far. Seems to be handling the Dog hair just fine. But I don't have kids, and we do have to keep bigger stuff, cords, bottle caps, dog chews (usually antlers) picked up before we run it.

3 Likes

For those still using Neato (we have a couple D7's that have worked great with the HE integration written by @gassgs): is the integration still working for you?

We recently changed our router to Unifi (love it), and since then the integration doesn't find any Neato's on my network. Weird.

Unless the cloud services are dead now too?

EDIT: Noticed in the logs I'm getting "Non-200 from device list call. 500 null" which suggests to me that the API doesn't think I have any botvacs attached. In the Neato app, I can still control my 2 D7's.

While my D7 is gone, I still have a few left over replacement parts that I haven't gotten rid of:

Free to a good home if anyone is interested. Just have to pay shipping.

[Edit: These have been claimed]

I'd take them of your hands if I can figure out my API question (2 messages up in this thread). FWIW, I checked my Home Assistant integration with my Neato's and it's still working fine, which suggests to me Neato's cloud API hasn't been taken down.

Is anyone else who uses this HE integration experiencing problems?

Well mine were working....until I went into the app, now it does not find them. I'm on vacation now but i will try to look into this when i return next week.

For anyone else using this intergration I would recomend not opening the app. If you click done when it does not see your vaccum(s) it will remove them.

Thanks for sharing that @gassgs.

Just to be clear, everything is working fine through the Neato mobile app. Same for you?
And I'm seeing the Neato Cloud API working fine through Home Assistant.
It's only your awesome HE integration that's having the problem AFAIK. My experience is the same as what you described -- sorry if I pulled you down the cliff with me!

Appreciate you taking a look at the HE integration when able. Hoping it's some kind of API change you can adjust to, but I'm skeptical since I thought no one was around at Neato to make any such changes!

EDIT: Bad news gang: my Home Assistant Neato integration just died about 30 mins ago also. You know what that prolly means!? Ugh.

Well if they made a change they did not document it. My neato mobile app is working fine, but the part of the integration that finds the robots does not seem to be working.....it's not returning any data, At this point I'm hoping it is a temporary outage.

Are your Neatos still dead? Hoping (praying?) it's just a temporary outage.

I just retried my HA integration, and it's working fine now AFAICT. The HE one is still down though.

I have not had any luck...the "500" error in the debug logs indicates somekind of server error.

Fingers crossed