Natural Gas Fireplace - Smart Thermostat replacement for old White - Rogers mechanical thermostat

Subject says it all. We have a natural gas fireplace with a mechanical thermostat, and I'd like to replace it with a smart one that I can set/change the temperature when the room is in use, and be sure to turn it off at night to save money.

Existing thermostat is made by White-Rogers, I've attached 3 pictures of. I'm not sure how this works, but based on what I could find online it has 2 wires which use 24VAC to turn on/off the fireplace. There appears to be a mercury switch, riding on a bimetalic spring.

Hoping to find something that would work as a drop in replacement. I haven't measured the voltage across the two connection wires to see if it is indeed 24VAC.

Has anyone replaced something similar?

Thanks!

From the label, it is a millivolt thermostat (0.1 amps at 750 millivolts).

Agreed! I looked up the manual online, and found this which is why I mentioned 24vAC:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/194531/White-Rodgers-1e30-W.html#manual

ELECTRICAL DATA
Switch Rating: 24vAC (30vAC max.)
Adjustable Heat Anticipator - 0.15 to 1.2 Amps
Switch Action: SPST - Sealed mercury switch
THERMAL DATA
Temperature Range:
Standard = 10 to 32 C (50 to 90 F)
Low Range = 4 to 24 C (40 to 75 F)
Differential: 1/2 C (1 F)

There's a chance that this is a different sub-model from what I have. My recollection is that it would have been installed in the 1990s along with the fireplace.

I suspect it just opens/closes a contact when the temperature transitions across the set point. There's a 2 wire cable coming out of it over to the fireplace. Looks a lot like lampcord.

I have an ecobee 3 lite used for our furnace. Looking for something similar for the fireplace. I assume that it will need to be battery powered, given that I don't think the 2 wire connections are useful for power.

Try the Vivint SCT200. Battery operated(&/or 24volt) and does millivolt systems. It's z-wave plus and I've been testing mine for the last 3 weeks, rock solid and very good solid z-wave connection.

1 Like