Native HomeKit?

This is what I’m doing as well and it works great running 4 instances.

2 Likes

I don't use HE dashboards, but instead use the native Home app on my Apple devices to see status of my HE paired devices. As for scripting or automation, I do 98% of my automation programming in HE using Simple Automation Rule app, Rule Machine app, and Mode and Motion Lighting app. The only automations I do natively in HomeKit is ones that play sounds on my HomePod Minis (doorbell chime, HSM siren, etc).

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

My next project is stand up a true VM server and break apart my Homebridge into multiple instances. I've read multiple times that having one large Homebridge instance for all your devices can slow down the device refresh from HomeKit as it has to refresh every device per hub instead of selectively on a per device basis.

1 Like

I have a fairly large system and try to keep individual instances to under 100 devices.

1 Like

I just broke 50 devices in Homebridge, slowly growing since Oct 2020.

Here's the thing, and you should consider this an opinion, but it's not based on guesses, but knowledge from other companies that have done this. Commercial HomeKit licensing is expensive. So do I want Hubitat to sink their limited resources in paying Apple licensing fees for HomeKit commercial use? Big fat NO!

Adding Homebridge is simple and it's cheap for the end user. Something is wrong in your setup if it's unreliable. I have been using Homebridge with @dan.t 's MakerAPI plug-in as @aaiyar mentioned, for years. It should be working perfectly. If it's not then you have something wrong on your network and/or the computer that is running Homebridge.

With Apple HomePods as the hub, you can expose virtual switches to Homebridge and sync them to devices that are exposed to Homebridge, but are not directly HE compatible. To simply control devices that are already in Hubitat from Siri, you simply expose them to Homebridge, and then add Hombridge to HomeKit as an accessory, allowing all devices in Homebridge to be exposed to the HomeKit cloud.

Now if you're expecting to be able to get measurement data from things like temperature sensors that are HomeKit compatible, but not directly HE compatible, then you cannot do that with Homebridge. I would instead look at this project that will allow the use of HomeKit Controller in Home Assistant and bring those devices into HE. If you wanted to, you could potentially eliminate the use of Homebridge by also exposing devices from HE back to HA with this second integration and then use the HA HomeKit integration. That is different from their HomeKit Controller integration in that it exposes devices to HomeKit, rather than acting as a HomeKit bridge.

Both are simple to setup, and frankly although I find HA difficult to automate in, the good thing about the HA to HE integration is you don't have to. In fact, whether you're using the HomeKit controller integration or joining devices directly to HA to get them back into HE, it's only when joining a device that you ever need to touch HA. Setting up HA on a RPi or a virtual machine running on spare computer is very simple because they have created a ready-to-use image.

So you may be wondering, if HA can add HomeKit integration, why doesn't HE just do that. Well they could, but it would cost them a lot, and in turn it would likely either drive the cost of the hub higher (nobody wants that), or it will rob valuable resource from a small company for little benefit versus the easy to add Homebridge or HA. Since HA is an open source project, they fall under the non-commercial use category and so don't have to pay anything, and don't have restrictions. Same with Homebridge which uses the HomeKit APK. Although, I wonder about that long term, as HA does sell a version already installed on an ODROID-N2+, which constitutes commercial use, so they're actually breaking the rules a little.

4 Likes

I'm getting the same results as everyone else.. my instance of Homebridge has been rock solid since I began using @dan.t solution. I also run Node-Red on the same machine. Both are NodeJS apps and as a result they just seem to go on and on working every day for a very long time. (The date stamps on the directories on my computer holding Homebridge is Jan 2019. Node-Red is April 2020 ) I do have multiple instances of Homebridge, for no reason other than I can. :smiley: I have a Thermostat and have a Homebridge instance dedicated to it. Mostly I just wanted to understand how-to and now I know. :slight_smile:

NodeJS can run on almost any Always-On Computer.. many use a Raspberry, as I did to first get my feet wet. Once I determined that I would be using it 'forever' I moved it to run on a Mac Mini that began life as a Media Server.

6 Likes

I’m running mine on a 2009 iMac. Probably a bit of a power hog but there is a bunch of other home automation stuff running on the same machine.

1 Like

If you're a Mac user and have either the budget for a new Mac to be always on, or have an old Mac around (I'm using a 2011 MacBook Pro configured to stay running with the screen closed), it's a powerful, stable and low power consumption platform to run many things on at once.

My MacBook Pro is currently running Node.js for Google Assistant Relay, Insteon server, Homebridge, Google CastWeb API, and Virtual Box running a HASS.IO image. No slow downs. Bonus for a Mac household is you can easily access it with the built-in screen sharing. I'm also running TeamViewer should I ever need remote access to anything on the MacBook or any of my HE hubs via a browser on that MacBook Pro.

2 Likes

If you have reason for a computer to be always on before jumping into Homebridge or Node-Red, adding several NodeJS instances seems to be one of the easiest decisions around. :smiley:

3 Likes

Not sure about the Mac Mini, but the 2011 MacBook Pro I'm running everything on only consumes 5 watts.

1 Like

The Mac Mini is pretty much a laptop in a different shape box without screen or kbd. So the power is very low. I have 4 of them running in this room alone, with two more running in a different room.

At least once a month I'm checking ebay for slightly newer. Mine are a 2012 and four 2014 vintage Mini's, only one is a 2018 version. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used to use TeamViewer as well but found that Apple's built in screen sharing works great without having to rely on a cloud based connection.

2 Likes

I had problems with HOOBS but have been running Homebridge on a Rasberry Pi (pre-built image) for almost a year. It’s been very stable. However, I use very few plugins - just Hubitat and Ring. All my devices are controlled from Apple Home but automations are in HE and/or Node-red. I have no HomeKit devices.

3 Likes

But I'm fairly sure it's now local only. I use Screen Sharing at home, but TeamViewer for remote. If you're using an older system, you can maybe still use the remote feature, but in MacOS El Capitan and later, it's gone.

2 Likes

I use Screen Sharing over a VPN connection when away from home.

I experimented with Hoobs, and while it seems fine, some plug-ins were troublesome to get working. I was surprised to learn a friend that isn't very welcoming of anything where he needs to use a terminal, had actually started with Hoobs, but then moved to Homebridge. He said the same thing. Much happier and much more stable.

I setup Hoobs for my daughter's apartment running on a RPi Zero W, and it's been fine, but that's only a handful of devices.

3 Likes

Yep, running WireGuard VPN through Home Assistant.

2 Likes

That's what I've been using since the pandemic started. Blows OpenVPN out of the water .....

4 Likes

The issue that I ran into was that HOOBS appeared to periodically kill my internet providers modem. Could never figure out what was causing it. Switched to Homebridge and it stopped. Same plugins (at that time Wink):man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes