Nat Gas detector

No data from the device
{"id":"775","name":"Device","label":"Gas Sensor","attributes":[{"name":"smoke","currentValue":null,"dataType":"ENUM","values":["clear","tested","detected"]}],"capabilities":["Configuration","Refresh","SmokeDetector",{"attributes":[{"name":"smoke","dataType":null}]},"Sensor"],"commands":["configure","enrollResponse","refresh"]}

[{"capabilities":["Configuration","Refresh","SmokeDetector",{"attributes":[{"name":"smoke","currentValue":null,"dataType":"ENUM","values":["clear","tested","detected"]}]},"Sensor"]}]

Hi there, just wondering if you tried the driver in THIS post ??

I only get data from my Heiman Natural gas detector (which appears to be the same device) when I press its TEST button OR when I press Refresh on the Device page.
Logs then show ....

Oh, and it appears to have sucked up my nearby Zigbee devices so they route through it !

Thanks but no, no data at all. :frowning:

mine not even pressing test. No communication at all. Interesting is that the hub recognises the device and add it normally, but after that, silence (nothing in the log)

@malves_2003 I am using the same detector with this driver and it works well. Driver for Gas Sensor

What Driver was loaded when the sensor was detected ?
If it appeared as a “Device”, then that’s an unrecognized fingerprint and a Driver needs to be found for it.
As others have indicated @cuboy29’s works. :+1:t3:

Don’t take this as a recommendation for a certified device, because in your country it may not be, but if you are having issues getting natural gas detectors that work, the Xiaomi with @veeceeoh’s driver works great. My wife has set it off on accident twice now and it triggers my RM actions exactly as expected.

However, it is not certified for use in the United States, Canada, and it may not be for Australia either. You’ll need to check what’s required. I’m using mine as a potential life-saving device, I’m not using it as a means to prove or disapprove anything to my insurance company.

1 Like

Your nose is the best natural gas detector but I haven't found a good way to integrate it with Hubitat. An almost undetectable amount of gas will be easily detected by the smell but go unnoticed by a sensor. I have one but I wouldn't count on them to save me,

A turkey vulture does a pretty good job, too. But hard to integrate them into your home automation system.

1 Like

Hmmm.... I've already got a parrot. If I point a camera at his cage, using software like Zoneminder (https://www.zoneminder.com) to delimit the bottom of the cage as the zone of interest, then the logic would be something like:

counter=0
If ( Motion becomes True) then
  while ( counter < 6 )
  do
     wait 10s
     if (Motion is False and Picture is Unchanged ) then
          counter++
     else
          exit
     endif
  done
  Notify(ex-parrot)

He's an ex-parrot and maybe we have a natural gas leak.

Not that I want to keep one in my living room, but you'd just need a really big cage for a turkey vulture gas detector.

@5fe94872fdbd2dbd06a8 are you related to 7fa64872fdbd2dbd06a8? I just noticed the surname similarity? :wink:

Not related, but we both come from MD5.

3 Likes

The parrot is merely sleeping.

1 Like

Nonsense! If it wasn’t nailed to the perch, he’d be pushing up daisies. :wink:

1 Like

I do mean to stop an entire house from exploding. I’m talking potentially lethal levels, where the smell is likely to be your last.

This is the post that made me order a detector shortly afterwards

2 Likes

$43 USD - Xiaomi Mihome Honeywell Gas Alarm Remote Alert Air Exhaust Sensor - Banggood Mobile

BUT, Caveat Emptor!

Read

Any question about certification, it is answered here. It is NOT certified for use outside of Mainland China. So if you buy this, don't expect any compensation from your insurance company or a blessing from your local fire department.

My personal statement on this device:

You purchase and use this device, you do so of your own accord and accept any and all associated and potential risks. I do not endorse or recommend it in any way. You are 100% liable for the use and setup of this device. I hold no responsibility for any mishaps, incidents, bodily harm or deaths relating to, or resulting from the installation and use of this uncertified device, which clearly states on the back of the device in English, that it is Only for Mainland China

But it does work, and I have first hand experience that it is very sensitive (Which is adjustable). Mine has the sensitivity set to high. Despite the two false alarms we’ve had since I purchased this in July, I do not intend to lower the sensitivity.

Hi. I was able to solve it by erasing all related config. (both deleting device and driver). Upgraded the hub to latest version, creating the driver using @cuboy29 's code , and rediscovering the device. After that everything seems to be working fine now.
Thanks.

1 Like

I had assumed that the Xiaomi device was battery powered and would have a huge advantage since it could easily be installed on the ceiling or high on the wall. I was almost ready to order one when I saw that it has a power supply. In some ways that make sence since the detector is constantly heated and would kill batteries quite quickly.
I do have outlets at the ceiling for my Heiman device and wondering how others have mounted their Heiman devices high on the walls or ceiling? Narural gas being lighter than air needs a detector as high as possible for safest detection.

That wasn't the instruction on the Xiaomi. There's a maximum and minimum distance. I followed the instructions very carefully to make sure it was within the recommended distance.