"Narrow" Motion Sensor (Zigbee prefered) Recommendations

Update: So, i'm looking at getting indoor Hue Indoor motion sensors, and using some electrical tape to adjust the angle of the detection. Will let everyone know how well this works.

Hi All!
So, I'm looking for a Zigbee motion sensor that is "narrow" as possible.

Problem Statement: I have an automation when I open my front door to turn on my barn lights, our covered walkway lights, and my front porch lights after dark. Issue is sometimes I'm just taking out the trash/letting our ■■■■■■■ cat out. (Same thing) so I don't need the other lights to turn on.

So, i'm looking for a near "pet proof" motion sensor. It'll be placed at waist height between the two beams on the way through the walkway. I actually use beam sensors for my gates, and I'd prefer an IR beam solution, but those seem like royal pains to get one that's "smart"'d enough. So really, I just need a motion sensor that doesn't detect the cats/critters walking through the walkway at night. The two 6" posts are about 6ft apart. I'm not sure how they "sense" as far as field of view, but if possible they should be extremely narrow, mainly in vertical orientation.

Any recommendations? Maybe as simple as putting an a Hue outdoor motion sensor upside down? using black type over the cover?

I haven’t used it by nyce makes something similar.

1 Like

Yeah, taking a look at them now. It doesn't really say much of anything on their site. They have a regular motion sensor and a "curtain" one.. which looks like it's only allowing some type of slit?

The Nyce Curtain sensor is supposed to be a narrow beam. I have some of their others (and I am happy with them) but haven't tried the "curtain" sensor.

Kinda pricey.. but guess I'll try it? Wife is complaining.. so probably worth the 50 bucks.

I wonder if Hubitat team can make a "review" section for device reviews by users, (Or even like a Wiki Database).

Using tape or tubing to narrow the beam area is probably the low-tech way to go. The Nyce units are a little pricey.

1 Like

Yeah, I'm torn... just clicked order but might cancel. Can get two pack of Hue outdoors from costco for $80. Indoors are $60. (these will be outside afterall)

I know they sense temperature right? So wasn't sure if "tape" would work. Seems like anything else is $20 bucks just to "try" but I can also put those somewhere else.

I'm not sure how much is actually sensing temperature - most of them are called PIR - Passive Infra-Red. I think you can adjust the sensing "aperture" pretty well with tape and tubing. Low-cost & low-tech.

Yeah sorry, I thought PIR is used to detect "heat" (that's what I meant by temperature) so wasn't sure if that'd make it through the tape. But I'll give it a whirl and report in, going to two-pack Hue indoor for $60 from Costco, will report in.

Yeah, makes sense. Not 100% sure but I think it mostly detects IR wavelength light that is put off along with heat. I would think the IR wavelengths would be fairly close to visible light and many materials would block both. I'll be interested in what you learn!

1 Like

@kaizokudave I have used the NYCE curtain motion sensors. I used them at the top and bottom of our stairs to turn on strip lights i had mounted under the wall cap. ii needed the narrow sensing beam (20°) because the bottom of the stairs ended at our door to the garage. I didn't want the stair lights to cone look n every time we went in or out of the garage.

They worked great, however they are not immune to pet motion. Our grandcat (our daughter's cat) would visit and the lights would activate every time she went up the stairs.

THanks for the info!

Question, which orientation is the curtain sensor? Vertical or horizontal? Is it around ankle level or or at waist/chest level?

I was thinking that I would mount it so the curtains are horizontal to eliminate the pets being seen, with the addition of placing it high on purpose.

I'm actually going to try some experiments when my Hue sensors arrive.

Here are two pictures of my installation.

The sensor at the bottom of the stairs is always at about ankle level. The one at the top is ankle or head depending on direction of travel.

You could mount it horizontally. I chose to mount it vertically to make a virtual sensing wall and avoid errant activation from directions that were not definitely indicative of intending to transit the stairs. Something you cannot see it the pictures is the open side of the stairs. It is a solid half-wall. This kept the sensing beam contained so it couldn’t see traffic in the adjacent hallway. Just be thoughtful in you mounting decision. The sensor beam is a 20° X 90° cone.

One last thing, be sure to get the Zigbee model (NCZ-3045-HA) not the C4 [Control4] model (NCZ-3045). Notice the Zigbee model is appended with “-HA”.

Have fun!