Nanoleaf Matter devices Issues

After updating and rebooting, my remaining two Nanoleaf Thread Matter devices are not connected.

A single disable/enable brought them back.

Don't know if it really matters, but how close is your TBR to your Hubitat hub?

In my case my C8 is on the main floor, my TBR (Echo 4) is in the basement in my office, so maybe 25 feet away.

Not sure if the Aeotec ST hub would be better as a TBR compared to the Echo 4.

Proximity of the TBR to Hubitat Elevation is not important. The Hubitat communicates with your Matter controller over your network not over Thread. So more important is how well your TBR communicates with your router.

With that being said, did you also have to power cycle your nanoleaf devices? Were your Nanoleaf controllable with your Echo when you noticed they weren't working with Hubitat?

Last but not least, I have seen many reports of Echo devices being less reliable as TBR. I am using an Apple Mini pod and has been rock solid. Also have Google Home and Smartthings TBRs that have been fairly reliable.

Just an adder, FWIW.

I have 2x Nanoleaf Thread based Matter LED Strips. I've never had to power cycle them since pairing them to Amazon Echo over thanksgiving week.

That said, I regularly (as in a few times a week) have them go unresponsive, but after a few minutes they come back as responsive and working. The Echo itself is fully functional and contactable during the period that the Matter devices are unresponsive (so I don't believe there is a network connectivity issue). The devices are unresponsive on the Echo as well during those periods, so that isn't a hubitat issue per se.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

No, I didn't have to power cycle the Nanoleaf bulbs.

I honestly didn't think to check them using the Alexa app or via voice control.

One thing I have noticed is that the Nanoleaf app quite regularly can't find either of my TBRs.
Right now, the Nanoleaf app says the remaining two bulbs are connected via Bluetooth and there is no thread network , but the bulbs are controllable by Hubitat, SmartThings, and Alexa.

Getting a Homepod or mini isn't an option for us since we're Android users.

1 Like

That means Matter is disabled. I have been dealing with same issue with 3 Nanoleaf Christmas srtrings. When they switch to BLE, Matter stops working. That is not something we can fix, unfortunately.

Not via Matter, do you have other means of integrating them?

Other than direct control via the Nanoleaf app, I don't have any other ways to control them other than the 3 matter connections.

I've made sure there isn't an Alexa skill installed: Alexa app always shows "Waiting for Nanoleaf" which made me double check that.

I don't have any Linked services in SmartThings (already removed something that automatically appeared).

I just checked before replying and they still show as bluetooth connected in the app, my Amazon thread border router is not showing up, but the bulbs are still working.

Definitely some weirdness going on with these Nanoleaf devices.

I'm going to install .134 and see what happens.

1 Like

latest installed, Matter stayed connected this time.

Bulbs are still showing as Bluetooth connected but are working :man_shrugging:

Even cut the power to one to see if that would force a reconnect.

Gremlins

1 Like

Interesting, when mine show as connected via ble, they are not controllable over Matter. I have to power cycle the nanoleaf device to force to reconnect to Wi-Fi, and only then I can control them over Matter.

I checked in the Nanoleaf app just now, and the bulbs are once again saying they are thread connected.

Also interesting, the Nanoleaf app is no longer showing that there are Matter connections for either of the bulbs.
There was a recent update to the Android Nanoleaf app.

One of the bulbs had a red X in the Hubitat Matter details screen, but the bulb was controllable from Hubitat. Refreshed the Matter Details page and the checkmark has returned.

1 Like

I moved the Nanoleaf discussion in its own thread.

That means the device wasn't available but later reconnected. My red checkmark is correct. The nanoleaf is not controllable via Matter, and is listed as using Bluetooth in the Nanoleaf app - Android app version 10.2.0 (370)

What I found really odd with mine yesterday is that it said BLE for the connection type and showed the correct thread network.

I see a lot of similar posts in the Nanoleaf sub-reddit from a lot of frustrated owners, and not much help from Nanoleaf.

1 Like

What I found in my case (and emailed nanoleaf about) Is if I commissioned the lights (my holiday string lights) via the nanoleaf app, which then would add it to homekit, the lights would fall back to BLE and no longer be able to be controlled my anything using matter.

If I used the homekit app itself to commission the lights, they would remain on the fabric and the Nanoleaf app would also see it without being added to. I consider this a serious nanoleaf bug and let them know.

I don't want to derail this thread, but the Kasa and Tapo plugs/switches work the same way except via WiFi. If you add them to the Kasa/Tapo apps, it will not work via Matter and you'll need to use their integrations into Hubitat, Apple Home, etc... If you connect via Matter to a third party controller, you can then add them to the Kasa/Tapo app and get firmware updates like normal.

1 Like

Correct. Order of adding to which service/app definitely Matters :tm: on Tapo devices.

You cannot commission the lights via Nanoleaf app. You can use the QR code to add the device to the Nanoleaf app, BUT it doesn't enable Matter. You would still have to use a Matter controller to commission the device with same QR code in order to enable Matter.

Write you can use the nanoleaf app to add to homekit. Sorry, should have been more clear. If you commision and don't use the nanoleaf app it doesn't fall off and the nanoleaf apop can still see it

1 Like

I am suspecting that using the scenes within the Nanoleaf app is what triggers the device to switch to Bluetooth.