MyQ garage door Integration

Unfortunately it looks like this is not going to happen. I have a couple MyQ openers myself but every message we've sent to Liftmaster has gone into a black hole. No response from them whatsoever.

Official MyQ integration will probably not happen. With the current set of community projects you are able to open/close the doors but you can’t get the status of the doors unless you buy another tilt sensor and use that in the app.

You could also control it via ifttt but that solution is very limited and also cost money.

Not saying it’s impossovle. Just that any implementation that polls the server will more than likely be shut down by MyQ once it gets popular.

Just not worth it if you are looking for a new solution. If you already have MyQ, it might be cheaper to get the tilt sensors and work them in.

Hi all. I know this thread is a bit old, however, wanted add some thoughts on this.

First, I'm just moving over to Hubitat, been a long time ST and dabbled with Home Assistant as well. What I find the most interesting is that Home Assistant has code that works with MyQ and reports the status of the door from the default/included Chamberlin MyQ door sensor where ST requires a separate contact to show open/close. I don't know how Home Assistance was able to do this, but it works rock solid. The only config you give it your brand (in my case Chamberlin), MyQ user name and password. It responds instant to open/close commands (the door status is delayed by around 10-15 seconds) but works great.

Anyone willing or able to look at the Home Assistant "cover" code and see how they got this working and possibly bring it over to Hubitat? This is the single device I have which I am unable to control with Hubait. I know, real world problems! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I also am really interested in integrating my garage door opener (LiftMaster with MyQ hub) into HE.

I did find some applica code but I am doing something wrong cause I can’t find device.

Also would love to connect 2 current light switches from MyQ.

Any guidance would be appreciated

I am also interested. Has anyone figured out how to integrate with MyQ?

This app works fine...

You will want an external sensor if you want door status on the dashboard or for automations. If you simply want open/close, the app works without any additional sensors.

It looks like Chamberilain has an application process for official integrations -- https://www.myq.com/works-with-myq

I'd love to see an official integration so that I don't need a secondary contact sensor to tell if the door is open or not.

Their official integrations come with large limitations. I moved to Hubitat from Wink, which had an official MyQ integration. MyQ devices could not be used as automation targets (eg. raise garage door when my car/phone enters a geofence). MyQ products could not exported by Wink to be controlled by voice assistants (eg. Alexa/GH).

These limitations led me to use a momentary z-wave switch (FortrezZ MIMOLite) and a contact sensor as my primary garage door controller in Wink. I continued doing that with Hubitat, although I recently replaced the MIMOLite with a momentary zigbee switch. With HE, this combination is fully locally controlled and I can use any desired automation with my garage door - and control it using voice assistants.

2 Likes

Yeah....I don't think that's going to happen. Plus, all of their third party integrations only allow you to close the door...not open it. It's a security thing imposed by Chamberlain.

Edit: Damn you @aaiyar!! Beat me by like 4 seconds. :stuck_out_tongue: hehe

1 Like

Ha - Mavis Beacon teaches typing finally became useful :laughing:

1 Like

Ach, well, hopes and dreams crushed. I need to just get a freak'n sensor for the garage door.

2 Likes

Just had a new MyQ garage door opener installed today, then found out my Linear controller will not work out of the box. I saw an interesting post how to solder a remote opener to the end of the Linear to get the job done. It's a hack but would probably work.. Despite this, is there a more simplistic option that I'm missing? FYI - I'm not interested in IFTTT or cloud based solution, it's a personal requirement. :slight_smile:

If your new GDO is Security 2.0+, then the ready-made solutions are cloud based. All local solutions will require soldering leads from a momentary relay (like your Linear opener) to either a remote control or a door button.

Just bought a solder gun tonight on Amazon. :grinning:

1 Like

Yup. With the myq your only option will be to solder a relay (the linear) into a remote or into the keypad.

Currently I have a zwave switch connected to a relay that i soldered into the remote. It works really well and the setup can even sit indoors where the signal still reaches. You can also program multiple buttons on the remote for each door.

There is also a way you can do this into the wall remote if you find the right points that mimic a button press.

Also keep in mind that if you go this way, you don't have the door open/closes status through myq as well. You will need another tilt or contact sensor on the door to report back. That is what I do.

In the end this setup has been way faster and more reliable than anything myq. I disabled the myq setup.

The linear has a tilt sensor out of the box. My plan was to solder the MyQ garage opener remote into the Linear. Sounds like you are not using the Linear zwave Garage opener?

Also, how did you set this up with multiple buttons? Did you solder additional wires/switches into the remote?

The simplest way to do this is to have button controllers that control the z-wave switch that triggers the relay (in the scenario that @gavincampbell described).

I do something similar: I use a zigbee outlet to control a relay that, in turn, controls the garage door opener. I use Mijia zigbee buttons to trigger the zigbee outlet, and a tiny app to turn off the outlet 200 ms after its turned on.

Ya I don't use the linear but the concept is the same.

As for the remote, if you have a multi button remote, Program each button for each door, then just find the contacts you will need to solder to in order to trigger that button. I basically took a jumper wire and touched the points to determine the two before soldering them.

In my setup i have a double switch, each triggers a specific button.

Does it work well for you? Any failures?

I soldered it, it works fine now.

2 Likes