Mycroft.ai Mark II private smart speaker finally gets a shipping date

So the Mycroft.ai Mark II smart speaker finally has a shipping date (although it is still 10 months in the future). Assuming they deliver, any chance of Hubitat supporting it as a voice assistant? They have a Home Assistant integration already.

10 Likes

Nice! I just read about Genie today, which seems similar (but all DIY, no off-the-shelf product) and I initially thought was something new, but it appears to be a re-branding for the next version of Almond, which I'd considered trying out in the past. These frequent AWS outages are making me consider considering faster. :joy: (Turns out I like voice control in the morning more than I thought.)

I hadn't seen this one before, so I'll have to check it out too and am curious how they compare.

4 Likes

Good lord it’s ugly!

Wow... Yes. That is just an amazingly unattractive device.

1 Like

Kinda looks like they put a small LCD screen on something that was last used in the ‘70s.

Love the idea of a local smart speaker though!

Reminds me a little of the Apple Lisa

5 Likes

5 MHz CPU and 1 MB of RAM for less than $10K?

Sold!

I KNEW I had seen that design somewhere….

The innards might be great, but they seriously need to hire a good designer. That thing looks like it was designed by Stevie Wonder :joy:

And $299? No thanks...

1 Like

I run a modified mycroft on a pi4 so I know a little about the code. It would be relatively easy to integrate with hubitat via the maker api IF someone had a lot of time to write the python bits and the 'skill' files. Not all that hard just a long effort. My embedded mycroft/pi4 sends mqtt commands which my hubitat drivers listen on. Just a couple of switches - nothing difficult in groovy but my use is very limited.

If you think the amazon cloud is buggy and slow then you should experience mycroft.

3 Likes

Just took me a moment to find his father... He and Lisa were an item.

3 Likes

Zenith did it better

3 Likes

Here is a full exposition on this tool:

1 Like

Does anyone know if such a speaker would be available to Hubitat to speak a TTS notification?
I know that there are DLNA player packages that I could install on the PI where PiCroft is running to turn it into a DLNA speaker. Would that be enough to get some TTS to it?

If you have a pi and the associated audio out working and MQTT (sudo apt install mosquitto-clients) I have drivers so that can do TTS, chimes or/and sirens. It takes a little effort to setup.

1 Like

My thanks.

I will get back to you at a later date when I have everything ready (might be awhile).

Thanks again.

The README explains more than you want to know. https://github.com/ccoupe/mqtt-alarm/blob/master/README.md

3 Likes

FullyKiosk for android has a rest api that you can send tts commands to. I send TTS commands to a tablet in my kitchen when my security camera detects a person approaching my home. The app also serves my Hubitat dashboard wonderfully.

Mine arrived today.

2 Likes

Very cool! Could you share some pics?