My Zigbee Experiment-Ongoing

Interestingly, my Hue outdoor motion started losing comms over the last couple of days. It seemed to get stuck on "Active". Today, the outage seemed more permanent, with no messages for a while, and nothing "hands off" would work.

I took it down off its tree and brought it into the garage, readying the screwdriver I'd need to reset, and lo and behold, it started working again.

There's more vegetation than before, so that could be a factor. Anyway, I relocated to a tree nearer the hub.

I've had indoor Hue motions in what I would think worse conditions that haven't dropped off, so there's that.

We'll see.

@mike.maxwell , any chance you could look at the Centralite4200C?

I have 5 of these in production on a C8, this was not a migration but a fresh build.

Ok, that's a positive. I had 9 that were migrated (at least 1/2 for Christmas lights). Now none-all removed. Perhaps I'll try to add one here and there, perhaps slowly build up, and see what happens. If the reboots reappear, we'll know there's a connection.

Since zigbee's been so stable with just battery-powered devices, I'm going to try adding some Centralite 4200C plugs back today and see if I get any radio reboots. I do need to be ready for Christmas, after all. Some of the other plugs were more elective in nature.

I just sprinkled 8 4200C's around the house. Everything connecting to hub, initially. Perhaps I'll hold off adding them back into the rules...but I think I'm basically an optimist at heart.

That didn't take long. Back to zigbee reboot city.
Good thing I didn't spend the time redoing the rules.

can you post the graph again?

BTW you could have built the rules, then exported them in JSON and saved them offline for future restore.

2 Likes

This thing?

1 Like

OK, if you simply unplug them (do not remove them from Hubitat) do the reboots persist?

I don't know. I initially tried that, but then someone said just unplugging them wasn't a good idea. It's not like it's a quick process-you have to monitor for a week, maybe, before having any confidence that it's been 'cured', and even then, maybe not.

Do you want me to unplug the plugs?

All of my devices have been discovered:

1 Like

yes, there shouldn't be any effect on the battery device functionality as they are still connected directly to the hub, or at least they were 30 minutes ago...
Unplugging routers that have children is a bad idea, but they will recover.
And you can force recovery by doing a battery pull on them, no need to re-join

I've got two children now, but I'll unplug them now.

I've unplugged the eight plugs.
Do they disappear from the graph at some point, with just unplugging?

they might just turn grey, which is fine

I'm semi color blind. These look blue to me. Will they change?

Yes, just let it sit for a while, and there's no need to watch it.
It looks like your battery devices have already figured out that the routers are gone.
At this point it's not important what this graph looks like in the future.
I'm just trying to see if there's a difference in reboot status with the devices simply unplugged vs not being joined to the mesh in the first place.

2 Likes

It's been 21 hours with no zigbee radio reboots on battery devices alone with the plugs unplugged.
What should I do now?
Not that it matters, but the graph looks the same.

1 Like