My Procedure migrating C5 to C7 Using Hub Protect

Here is what I've gathered from researching the migration, If I missed something or can improve on it please post

One thing I have not used is "Hub Mesh" as I have not tried it before and am a bit uneasy about how it works.

Thanks!

1. Do Zwave Repair on C5
  2. Save Backup to Cloud Backup
  3. Disable Zwave Radio on C5
  4. Shutdown C5
  5. Set Static IP of C7 to IP address of C5 on Network Router and HE via Settings, Networking
  6. Bring up C7 on NEW Network “ Static IP” ( Old C5 IP)
    7 Go to Backup and Restore on C7 and Choose “Cloud Backup” Tab.
  7. Find Last Cloud Backup from the C5 Hub you just uploaded and BE SURE TO CHECK the box to “MIGRATE ZWAVE RADIO ''. before pressing MIGRATE.
  8. Allow Database Migration to Complete
  9. When Process is Complete, go into Location & Modes and RENAME HUB

Last, begin resetting Zigbee devices and locating them on the new Hub using “DISCOVER DEVICES” and use previously joined devices to identify.

Also, go into AMAZON App (if using) bring up devices page and just hit "Done" to file.

2 Likes

This is what I used my conversion steps.

2 Likes

I don't think this step is necessary. Memory says the database restore will already do that.

Looks good. And I like how you have everything laid out systematically!

3 Likes

It's a Med. Tech thing isn't it?

1 Like

100%. No last minute surprises!

1 Like

Thanks John, I'm committed to using Hub Protect though. Just less hassle for me. Thanks for replying though.

1 Like

Now that I think about it, You're right, I kept having to rename the C7 just updating it from the C5. I do have to rename the C5 as I think I'll at lease try to keep it current every so often in case something goes bad. Thanks Again!

1 Like

Your welcome,
BTW I transferred over before hub protect.

1 Like

I was toying with that idea but decided I'd rather not chase down all my Z-Wave devices.

For me it wasn't that much effort. And when completed I somehow felt the Z-Wave mesh was better for it because I was able to rejoin in a more mesh friendly sequence.

1 Like

The C7 should be able to self-optimize its z-wave routing given a little time, though (better than the C5 can).

1 Like

My Z-wave is real solid. Still I will run a new "REPAIR" prior to trying the migration. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

I did do this (on the C-5). And did the migration about 24 hours later. With the C-7, there is no need to run z-wave repair on the entire network. If necessary, repair can be run on individual devices.

3 Likes

Yeah, I did one yesterday so it should be good to go. I figured I would start tomorrow AM so that I can scare up some help if I mess up. Trying to figure best timing for changing IP on the 7. I guess after I upload the migration file to the cloud I can take the C5 down or change it's IP than set the C7 to the "old" C5 IP. I'm assuming that once I hit "migrate" on the C7 it is only communicating with itself and the Cloud file.

1 Like

When I powered the C-5 down, I changed the router's DHCP table so the C-5's IP was assigned to the C-7. Therefore, when I first brought the C-7 up, it already had the C-5's IP address. This is even before I restored the cloud backup.

My local IP-based integrations (Sonos and Magic Lights) worked from the get go. My SleepIQ integration also worked right away. The only thing which didn't work was the Alexa Skill. Memory says that all I had to do with open it, and click "Done" again. I may have changed some device selections. I definitely did not have to fiddle with anything at the Amazon end. Or do anything overly cumbersome at the Hubitat end.

1 Like

That's about the way I am going to use to do it. Not that I won't hold my breath until I confirm it migrated. LOL! I've only 25 zigbees to do so, most contact sensors I've changed batteries in so often I can do quickly. The bulbs I had to dig out the reconnecting procedures as I have maybe 4 different kinds and of course they are all different. I haven't touched them in 2 years so I made notes on the on / off sequence for each.

1 Like

Well, not getting very far. I tried to set the C7 to the Static IP of my C5, took the C5 offline, Booted up the C7 and it insists on using the old IP address. I've shutdown and rebooted the C7, same problem. I pulled the network cable, same. I shutdown the Local internet hub, my router, and the C7. brought them each back up in the proper order, same problem. What am I missing? I was hoping to set the IP so the Cloud copy from the C5 would work with Amazon, Maker API, etc. Help please!

This is probably redundant, but I'm making sure:

Once you added the static IP to the C-7, did you click on "save and switch to static IP"? After doing that, all that is needed is to reboot the C-7. And the new static IP should stick.

Yeah, I've been reading that info. I already had a reserved IP on the C7 so I guess I have to set that to the C5 address reboot the C7. When should I "migrate" the cloud backup from the C5? And, if I change the IP on the C5, how do I do the Migration or when?

Well, not exactly sure but I THINK I got it all done. I'm sure it will hiccup. After hitting "DONE" in the Amazon skill, all is working too Thanks for the help!

1 Like