My New Year's Resolution - Dump as much Zigbee & Z-wave as I can

I have to say that with Hubitats C8, my Zwave network is rock solid... With the exception of all of the battery operated devices that are still way unreliable.
I don't have any zigbee devices.

From what it sounds like of your setup, the only competitor to Caseta would be the Zwave LR (if it ever gets off the ground). It sounds like there is an enormous distance between the switches and the Hub. In that type of situation, the low frequency of Lutron really shines. (Besides the fact that their switches are extremely dependable and reliable).

1 Like

Completely agree, which is why all of my real automation is in node-red. After having to re-do my automations a dozen or so times after switching hubs, or platforms, etc I bit the bullet and migrated my automations one last and final (as final as anything is in the computing world) time. Whether my device is wifi, LoRaWAN, hubitat, home assistant, etc they are all in node-red as the glue.

I decide to use zwave js, or z-way, or homeseer, or fibaro, or homie, or zigbee2mqtt next week? No big deal, swap out the devices in node-red (maybe with a change node to massage it into the right format) and all my logic is fine.

Within 60-90 minutes after the devices are paired/in whatever system I can migrate 100% of my logic for my entire house with no recoding. I've done it - multiple times - so that isn't a theoretical data point.

So for me node-red is what made home automation truly vendor and hub agnostic. But that isn't the right answer for everyone, nor would I ever suggest it is (for many and various reasons)!

I appreciate/agree with your point that Hubitat could still serve a purpose in the non-Z world if your automations are already there OR if you just prefer the automation logic options in Hubitat (and a LOT of people do, even if I don't!).

EDIT: All that said, as long as there is Maker API (or equivalent) Hubitat will likely always have a place in my home automation solution. Whether it is for Z devices, Matter, or something else entirely I haven't thought of. It is a very low maintenance/fuss system, and I like it VERY much.

3 Likes

2024 will be the year of the different manufacturers Matter Bridges integration in HE.

And Hubitat will remain the best hub to bring all the different technologies devices together, and make the best possible automation in your house.
:christmas_tree:

8 Likes

I am the same. Moved most of my stuffs to node-red. This will be my year to move all my automations to Node-red if that's possible and not too time consuming.

Great minds … :wink:

2 Likes

So you guys are sniffing the same glue... :wink:

16 Likes

I intend to change nothing that is in place. Why would I change what is working perfectly?

I have just about every smart home radio that exists, with the exception of the integrator types (RA2, Control4, etc) and it’s all performing without fault.

Thread radio will be added via a new Apple TV, but the current available Matter devices are boring and unlikely to drive a Thread device purchase any time soon.

The thing that stopped me from switching to Caseta a long time ago was the options for switches and dimmers.

The wife love’s the Pico, but doesn’t want that style all over the house and guests find it annoying.

Now with the new Dalia devices on Caseta I almost switched, but…

When I played with the new Sunnata dimmer (non-Caseta) at Lowe’s I said to myself that I’d only move if they made a smart version of that.
That is a really slick device.
The t

I thought the same, so I bought a bunch and put them in our rental suite. They’re really annoying in actual use. You almost always accidentally adjust the level when reaching to turn them on or off. I would not install them again.

If you don’t like the style of the old Pico, then the Diva line is a good choice, and the dimming isn’t prone to accidental adjustment like the Sunnata are.

Hmmm, I guess playing with the store display isn’t the same as actual day to day use.

When trying it out it seemed pretty easy, but I do get what you are saying.

The Diva is the one with the tiny slider on the right?
Wasn’t a huge fan of it, but I can see how it could be less trouble.

I have a Aeotec WallSwipe I’m gonna try out, so I’m wondering we’re gonna get annoyed with it like you did with the Sunnata.

1 Like

To answer your question, I use Hubitat because I need something to run rules and, as others note, "tie it all together". Hubitat does that. Also, as others note, it's primarily the battery z-wave and zigbee devices that I really dislike, although I've found the quality of many switches to be much lower than that of the Casetas. And finally, if I do decide to sell this property one day, the Casetas and Picos can work perfectly well without a hub, while the z-wave stuff really can't. I have some z-wave switches in the garage to change out, and then I'm free of it for lighting. Looking forward to that.

2 Likes

Wouldn't be surprised if the "smarts" in a home become a selling point over the next 10-15 years...

1 Like

I do like the lutron bridge and picos. I also use their fan controls.

But reliability, I don't really see any difference between it and a robust zwave/zigbee mesh.

2 Likes

YMMV, of course... :wink: but in my case, my Lutron Caseta devices have had exactly zero problems since they were installed years ago. I cannot say that for my Z-Wave and Zigbee devices over the years.

2 Likes

I'd agree, except it's likely to be the case that the typical story of today's HA won't lead to the optimal sale.... for example-

" This beautiful SMART HOME you are looking at uses 'a' for hub(s), 'b' for motions, 'c' for contacts, 'd' for lighting, 'e' for switches, 'f' for temp/HVAC, 'g-z' for etc.;
some on 'x' batteries, some on 'y' batteries, and some on 'z' batteries. With protocols, 'Z' this and 'z' that, WIFI, and a touch of Bluetooth. "

That's just a recipe for a buyer to be thinking....
"I'm asking for a discount ...it will take me months to unravel this place".

Now if a buyer were to walk in and see a complete & logical system with vendor, product, and protocol standardization/continuity...well, that's another Matter.

1 Like

We've sold two homes with Insteon, a UDI ISY, and an Elk security system in them. First one in 2010, then the last one in 2019. In both cases the new owners relied heavily on me for support for more than two years. I really didn't mind it, and in the latter case we became good enough friend that the couple spent a week with us this past summer, at our new place, and are invited back again! I don't know that the tech was a selling point in either case (to be frank, I think the guys loved it and the ladies were less impressed), but they didn't want us to remove it, either. And that may have been specific to those two couples, in terms of the guys liking it more.

What I do know is that I don't want to be tech support for THIS property, if we sell it. For one thing, I don't understand Rules or other aspects of Hubitat as well as I understood the ISY, and I really don't have the time or desire to learn it, to that level. For another, it's larger and more spread out than the earlier properties, and may well be a vacation home instead of a full time residence, which brings its own headaches. And finally, while I really didn't mind being tech support in the past, I'm getting to a point where I want to focus on MY projects, and not someone else's. So, while I think the tech could become a selling point for many homes, I'm going to try to make that NOT the case when we sell this one.

2 Likes

So I'll be the tech support for temperature and humidity sensors? :wink: :rofl:

It already is, but with the qualification that the system is turnkey, complete and in place. No one (today or 10-15 years from now) is going to want to buy a home with a smart system they (A) need to learn how to use and program (B) will need to continue to build out. I would argue that the average non-technical person isn't going to be so willing to tinker with devices from multiple manufacturers to figure out which one works together, which don't, etc., much lee multiple controllers or hubs to make it all work. Heck I'm more tech adventurous than the average joe, and lately have been toying with the idea of including HA, and to me that seems like it just may be a bit more than I'm really willing to go. Based on my reading in the community over the years, I would say that most the systems that users in this community have won't be a selling point because they aren't complete (I don't think anyone here every fully completes their build out) or are just way to overly complicated for the average buyer. I know as I change out switches, etc., I have been keeping the dumb switches to put back in when I one day sell. If a buyer happens to be a HA / Tech enthusiast type, there is a good chance they have already formed opinions (no Z, prefer cloud, wifi etc.) and a HA system won't be as much of an attraction as they realize how much they would need to change out to get it to their liking or preference. Because of this the "average consumer" grade system (i.e. Alexa or Google home, Wi-Fi or cloud based) will be the most likely to appeal to the broadest cross section of home buyers.

1 Like

I discovered yet another reason for a Lutron bridge. I was updateing my Hubitat hubs, and walked in the kitchen for a brewski. Of couse the lights didn't come on, as the zigbee motion sensor was down. Since I have Lutron also connected to HomeKit, all i had to do was tell Siri to turn on the kitchen. Minor advantage, I know.

1 Like