My new C8 seems to lock up almost every night

Hello,

I recently got a new C8. I installed two Zigbee devices (Innr outlets) and noticed that it locked up in the middle of the night.

This is happening almost every night, sometime after 2AM and before 6 AM.

It is connected thru an unmanaged switch, using the firmware from a few days.

I noticed that the only timed unction is a nightly backup at 3:01 AM, which is in the lockup window.

Logs just stop sometime after 2AM. The C8 shows a green light when locked up, but cannot be reached at its IP address and stops responding to trigger events, until powered off and on again. Then it is usually good for another 20 hours.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Roy

Remove the outlets and see if that fixes it? Then, proceed from there.

Since the first day I have also paired a lot of other devices, as well as added devices like my Washer/Dryer, my Shark Robot vacuum, a weatherflow weather station and sensorpush temp/humidity sensors.

Do you still believe removing the first two outlet devices only would be a sufficient test, or were you thinking about a more drastic removal back to its original condition?

I think it might be important that the lock ups have never been during the day, only in the middle of the night. I did notice that it seems to be suspiciously near the time it is default set to backup.

Earlier I set it to reboot 10 minutes before it is scheduled to backup. I thought that might help.

Wow, you reboot every night?

I'm just a dude fumbling around like yourself.

I was thinking, you added a device and it started screwing up, so eliminate the device.

It's probably more complicated than that with all the other stuff you also added.

You need some more expert people to chime in. Maybe @bobbyD or @rlithgow1 ?

They'll probably mention integrations...like for instance how is that Shark Robot vacuum integrated? Jumbo frames, etc.

I'd say, and this is only me, you're still not too far into the whole thing, so remove all the devices and integrations and start over. Wait to make sure it doesn't act up and add something else.

Have you noticed any hyper activity from any of your devices/integrations in the past logs that may show errors prior to hub locking up? By hyperactivity I mean events occurring within milliseconds of each other for extended period of time...

How is the hub powered? Regular power block and cord or with PoE and a splitter?

Do you have jumbo frames enabled ANYWHERE on your LAN (routers, switches, clients, NAS, etc..)?

Well, I have 42 devices on my network, but rather than checking all my webcams I checked my router, my NAS’s and my PC’s - no jumbo frames.

Since my switch isn’t managed it doesn’t have its own IP address.

The c8 locked u- the first night that I used it. I think the fact that I installed two Innr outlets would not suggest they caused this. My guess would be if I ran it without any pairing it would probably still lock up in the middle of the night, but then why would I run it if I didn’t pair it with anything?

I have read thru the community of many others having lock up problems, and sometimes people tell them to switch off any jumbo frams on their networks, and other times they suggest pluggit directly into the router and not use a switch.

From the responses it hasn’t helped in most cases.

I don’t think its a router problem, or a switch problem, or a jumbo frame problem.

I am beginning to worry that it is a Hubitat problem.

I hope that something can be done in firmware.

Right now I am trying to diminish the risk by doing a fresh reboot just before it goes thru the automated backup, which I suspect is the trigger for my problem…

No, the logs just stop in the middle of the night and resume when I cycle the power. There are no catastrophic log entries before the silence.

I am using the power supply supplied by Hubitat.

They don't need to be "catastrophic" just overwhelming to the hub with lots of entries every few milliseconds.

Can you post a screenshot of your past logs prior to the time the hub locked (assuming they don't reveal sensitive personal data).

Here ya go:

(I hope that worked. I am a newbie on this forum.)

It stops at 2:08 with a bit of a whimper, until I cycle it at 6:15.

1 Like

Looks like the integration that was throwing errors may have closed the telnet connection that your hub needs. I would remove the integration to see if that resolves the problem.

3 Likes

There are multiple red errors (and debug messages that look like errors) in the logs every minute.

Click the red/blue boxes that say error or debug and it will open the device page. Once you know what device it is I would either remove it, or go back to the devices list and check the disable box by all of them. Then reboot the hub and see how it goes.

4 Likes

Be nice. Could have just been a poor choice in wording. Maybe it was more "yeah I see all these errors, but I have no idea what they are telling me.".

4 Likes

It's okay (Reddit people can be abusive at times).

The nightly lock up started on the first night, before any of these dubious devices were installed, BUT I have just removed the devices throwing errors and I will prune any error invoking device as I discover again.

I'll see if this cures my problem or is just another layer of complications.

I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone.

2 Likes

If you have a problem, don't move forward until is resolved. Anything you add makes it so much more difficult to identify the root cause.

If you think it’s related to nightly backups, you can change them to happen less frequently. I would also download a fresh backup to your computer and then restore the backup. This should fix any database corruption that could be causing problems.

Well, the adventure continues...

I removed everything throwing up errors, set the auto-backups for later in morning and disabled my daily reboots.

I doubt that the timed backups are causing this. It is just that it was the only thing I saw scheduled for the middle of the night. Whatever is locking things up seems to happen around 2 AM.

I will post my logs - there was a little bit of activity until 2:09, when it probably locked up, followed up by entries after 6 AM when I once again had to recycle the power:

I am removing the iPhone presence apps, so that the log will be even more empty.

I doubt that this will fix the 2AM lockup.

Keep in mind that this 2 AM lockup has been a thing since the first night I turned my C8 on.

Thanks for the help.

Roy

Is your router or whatever device you have your hub connected to doing something at around this time.
Maybe it's doing some sort of maintenance that is causing an issue.

Just thinking out loud really. :man_shrugging: