My homemade free mat switch for Ring contact device

I was using a motion sensor 'taped to narrow the beam ' for entry into my master bath to turn on lights and TV. I found the reset time for any motion sensor I tried was too long. Therefore, If I entered and left before the motion sensor became active again, everything would be out of sync.

I made this simple, cheap mat contact switch and placed under the rug at the door entry. It is only is 6 inches deep to allow me to walk over it if I do not want to active the Ring sensor. Also, I can walk beside the rug and not set off sensor at will. This was something I could not do with a motion sensor.

I used left over furnace air return board that is corrugated board with foil on both sides. Only one side actually needs foil. I cut a small strip from middle and folded there. The board is naturally springy. I taped the sides to keep it from expanding beyond an inch. I added foam in middle so a connection is not made until the edges touch.

I attached wires to paperclips and pushed on board. The other ends are soldered to the terminals of the Ring's reed switch. Took less than 30 minutes for everything.

Now system is never out of sync as there is no reset time to worry about. I use it to trigger a bond controller to turn on/off TV and on off lights per schedule.

If it ever breaks, only a couple of dollars to re-make.

I am a Smartthings/Action Tiles converted user. Hubitat is fantastic and so is the support. Glad I made the change.

mat3a

3 Likes

Interesting...

am an engineer who loves to repurpose things. However, it sounds like you went to a lot of trouble to make a floor mat with a pressure switch.

I think I would have added a pushbutton switch to activate by my finger rather than a foot switch. I have a Lutron Caseta hub so PICO remotes would have been my choice, but there are plenty of Z-wave and Zigbee momentary contact switches that would work.

If I tried the floor mat, I would probably trip over it when getting up in the middle of the night.

I don't think 30 minutes is alot of trouble :blush:. Plus mats are expensive and hard to justify. Who really needs to automate anything? I could push a button but then I could save alot of time and money and use the wall switch. I just walk in and something happens and walk out and something happens without thinking about it. Rug was prexisting and I never tripped over it yet.

I like the challenge... Take care

2 Likes