My Favorite Devices (Updated)

@bcopeland is that Ring Listener 500 series or 700? Are there any smoke/co listeners that are 700 series?

Teach a man how to fish...

Go to the Z-wave Alliance site and search the product database. Here is the link to the Ring Listener.

https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/3161?selectedFrequencyId=-1

Scroll down to "Z-Wave hardware platform: ZM5101". Look up that chip, and find it's Z-wave 500 Series.

2 Likes

I was poking around on that page but wasn't sure what I was looking at. Thanks!

Have you tried the Ring leak/flood sensors?

Yes... That is the one I couldn't consistently get included so I skipped that on for drivers.. I still have it, I have been meaning to try it again...

1 Like

My favorite Zwave motion sensors after 3 years of testing are made by BeSense.
Corner mount long targeted throw:
https://www.amazon.com/BeSense-Detector-Natively-Samsung-SmartThings/dp/B06ZXSCHKW/ref=sr_1_2?crid=35P1IFLWC5ICH&dchild=1&keywords=besense+sensor&qid=1612352500&sprefix=besense+s%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-2
Ceiling 360 mount:
https://www.amazon.com/KAIPULE-Ceiling-Mounted-Z-Wave-Compatible-HomeSeer/dp/B07Z677BYS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=35P1IFLWC5ICH&dchild=1&keywords=besense+sensor&qid=1612352588&sprefix=besense+s%2Caps%2C172&sr=8-3

Same guts. Both run off 2 AA batteries. I installed my first 2+ years ago now i have 20, indoors and out. They work fine under a soffit. 3 jumper settings for sensitivity. I found #2 is bullet proof when it comes to pet false triggers. Reliable, includes easy and consistently. I have had zero failures of 20 devices in 2 years. I change batteries once a year NMW, all had >85% remaining. Just 2 plain AA Duracell's. Ceiling mount works great for a front porch / Amazon alert. They are consistently available. They blend well. I have tried so many i lost count until standardizing on these two. jj

2 Likes

One of my august locks is having problems and I am looking at potential replacements.
Can you share what other locks you are looking at?

OK.
I'll bite.
How fast do they react?
If they don't react fast, they are fine for home security purposes.
If they react fast, they can be used for motion sensor lighting.

2 Likes

Instantly - you will like them. I tried 10+ products before standardizing on these 2 years back. I have about 20 of them. Instant on, easy to include, never fail. Set the jumper to 2 pulses and it is rock solid as far as elimination of pet false triggers.

I was formally trained as an engineer, so please forgive these questions.
Within how many seconds of 'breaking the plane' does the sensor react?
Do you have any other sensors that you can test against these?
"Instantly" is a subjective word.
I have never seen a zwave motion sensor react instantly.
It's not that they don't have their place - for security purposes I'm sure they are great.
However for motion lighting purposes, I have yet to see a zwave sensor that would be fast enough. (I'm not saying this sensor isn't fast enough, I just have never tried it out.)
From the Amazon reviews of the product:

1 Like

Sub-second response times, 100% of the time. Mesh density always plays a role, but the Zwave radio in these is good. my farthest is through an outside wall 25 feet away from the hub. In milliseconds once you enter the trigger zone you see the trigger LED and your rule is fired.

Just read the review - man that is the exact opposite of my experience. I have a 100+ node all Zwave network and at it 3 yrs now - all i have to say is my experience is wildly different. You will dig it. j

There are a lot of factors to this, from placement to environment to subjective evaluation, but i have been pretty happy using the ZSE18 with usb power for motion lighting in my office.

1 Like

More clarification after further inspection of the review above; the BeSense device has two jumpers. The number of pulses it must see before it declares a trigger. 1 is most sensitive, 2 I use most of the time as we have pets - eliminates false triggers on our pets, fast as heck at detection of a human. The second set of jumpers is what forces the device to run in a more battery conservative mode. I have experimented with "Full" and noticed no difference in performance. Battery life was still in months, not days as the review above eluded. Detection time is instant, what you vary in HE is the alert reset time. How long with no motion before sending an all clear to the hub. PS, its thirty bucks - live dangerous! Good luck and i hope this does indeed help you. j

I with @jjackson as I have a couple of besense motion and they are alot better than other I have try and have used. I would recommend the besense.

A couple quick questions... On the motion detectors, can anyone compare the Hue Zigbee ones with the BeSense Z-Wave ones?

On the First alert ZCombo-G fire / CO detector... Can it be used as a siren as well? I've got Sonos and Echo devices around that I can use for this, but if the power is out...

No, only a siren for the smoke detector itself. What you are thinking is more like the First Alert OneLink smoke detector where the speaker is also a AirPlay2 speaker which you could use as a speaker or siren for other purposes. But that would be outside Hubitat.

Updated smart plug..

I have some other favorite changes coming soon (unreleased devices, waiting on them to be announced) :wink:

5 Likes

Bah. Ya tease.

4 Likes

|Scene Contoller|Zooz Zen32|

Got a new category.. In-Wall mains powered scene controllers are back!

700 Series and built-in driver in 2.2.6.

8 Likes