Must-have apps

I've managed to find 'Geofency Presence' by Brian Wilson. Is that it or did you mean another app?

Yes you can use that app.

It’s also possible to integrate directly with Geofency by using the built-in Maker API app.

My Echo Speaks went from like 40-50% hub memory use to like 15% use after the latest V4 beta. You might want to try it again and see if is is better for you now.

3 Likes

ooo, very interesting. i'll definitely have to check it out. i don't mind the TTS i'm using since it's all local, so i'll see if anything changed with ES

I use the app to monitor the current health and response of my Zigbee and Z-wave mesh networks. In the garage I have two plug-in switches that are just used for repeaters. But since they are switches I have Hub Watchdog toggle the switches on/off every 3 hours and report the response time. Let's me see if things are actually normal or something is wrong and the response shoots through the roof.

Here is the Hub Watchdog Z-wave report for example.

Device Activity Check uses the “Last Activity At” from the Device Details page:

This only updates whenever the device generates an event, so it works well for devices that check in regularly. All of my motion sensors and contact sensors also report temperature, so they are always checking in, even when there’s no one in the house.

You can also set up different intervals for different devices. I have most of my devices checked every day, but I have my presence devices checked every 3 days (sometimes my wife won’t leave the house during the weekend, thanks to COVID).

However, like you mentioned, it doesn’t work well for my button device, because that one only generates an event when a button is pressed.

1 Like

Geofency Presence. That’s the one.

1 Like

OK, this is helpful. I can see how it works -- let me set a few up as well.

Am I right in thinking that I should have at least a few devices in different parts of the house set up on this, as just one won't necessarily be representative of the whole mesh network?

Not a bad idea by any means, I just didn't go that far.

1 Like

To all the "Motion and Mode Lighting Apps" experts out there -- in case you have a few spare minutes..?

EDIT: Or maybe a more open-ended question -- what's the best app to use to do what I want to do, i.e. have my lights turn off when triggered by motion sensor and go off when there is no more movement, UNLESS I press 'on' on the button / dimmer / switch that normally controls those lights. Fairly common use case I would think...?

I've just discovered yet another app -- Button Controllers -- and find it brilliant! Where would you place it on your prioritised list, if you use it at all...?

I use ABC (Advanced Button Controller) a community app. I like its layout and find it simply excellent to work w/Pico remotes, of which I have a lot (family loves, craves buttons). Both are excellet, and they fit in around the Motion Lighting app. You don't build automations in the button controller apps per se, but you can use the button controller apps both to manage devices directly or via groups and scenes, and to kick off automations that you want to activate w/buttons.

Yes, makes sense. And it seems I've been using some of these true automation apps for things that really just needed button controls, so I feel like I've found my favourate app for the job (of course still using some of the other automation apps for actual automations). Thanks!

The cool thing is you can choose and use what you want, where you want, and there really aren't any "wrong" choices (other than liver and onions). It's good to explore options over time to figure out which apps fit intuitively for you and meet your needs.

I tend to have automations set to run and then (because my family says so) often provide a button option to manage the automation if they want it to run (or reverse) for some reason. That way things "just happen" magically but they have some control if desired.

2 Likes

I think we are all married to the same woman.

1 Like

There aparently is only one "wife" and we all share her. :wink:

3 Likes

i keep dreaming of that.. but sharing everyones wife.. lol

3 Likes

I spent my first few weeks trying out Apps. The next few weeks, I got rid of half of them. I vacillate between being attracted to an interesting concept (shiny object!) and then pragmatically solving my real problems. Today, webCoRE is my personal must-have app. Next month, who knows?

1 Like

So true! :smiley: Shiny sparkly things really are distracting... :wink:

2 Likes

Did you find Note-RED faster than the built-in motion lighting app for triggering motion lighting automation?