Music Player vs Speech device

I guess there are reasons why music players AND speech devices exist.
In reality people use speech device to play music :wink:
It would be awesome if speech devices are available in the music players list.
Or add the same (or some) commands to speech devices.

The red ones would be very helpful:

What is the problem you're trying to solve? If a device supports both feature sets, it can implement both capabilities (if it doesn't, there is probably a reason). Any app can use any command once it has a reference to the devcie, regardless of how the device was selected in the first place.

This is the same as for any device, like a dimmer (capability "SwitchLevel") that also supports on/off (capability "Switch") -- typically among several others, these being the most notable.

1 Like

I want to sent the commands "next" and "previous track" to my google nest audio devices. Those devices are speech devices in Hubitat (not music players). In speech devices those commands are not available, but they exist (In Home Assistent it is available), any suggestions how to sent those commands?

I am not a developer but maybe HE is sending the wrong commands to a google nest audio?
Those are logs from Hubitat:

Those are the commands in Home Assistent:

You would need to use (or write) a driver that implements this command. Hubitat and Home Assistant just call them different things. I do not know how they work on Home Assistant or why Hubitat chose to not implement these commands in their driver, but presumably it's because TTS was their main focus with the Chromecast integration--if that's what you're using.

2 Likes

Does the google community integration support it?

That's the reason of this feature request since I am not a developer :wink:

1 Like

Don't know what you mean by that. The only thing I know the function next and previous track is working well in Home Assistant for the google nest audio....

Sure. I'm just explaining why you're seeing the error. It is not because the name is wrong.

1 Like

There is a google community integration available in hubitat package manager that is far more feature rich than the built in one.

thx for the reply, but as I interpret it, this app is intended to make devices with more options available in Google Home. I need an extension of the driver for my Google Nest audio with more options, correct me if I wrong. + I want to keep it local...

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.