Multiple users for IFTTT applet?

I just started using an IFTTT widget on my iPhone that unlocks my Yale Z-wave lock with a quick press of the “button”, and I love it. I’d like my wife to have this same widget on her phone. Is that possible and do you know how?

Curious why you would use ifttt instead of just putting a shortcut to it...

Because I wasn’t aware I could use Apple Shortcuts with my Z-wave connected devices linked to Hubitat. Is that a thing?

I think you'd need homebridge/HomeKit in the mix. Which I would very much recommend, because it would keep everything local and eliminate your need for IFTTT.

3 Likes

You can also use makerapi to do it as well

2 Likes

Thanks @aaiyar. Are you also using Apple pods with your home setup or a different smart speaker like Amazon Echos? Curious if you are using Apple and like interacting with Siri over Amazon/Google.

Interesting. I’ll definitely read up on this.

You need some Apple device to host HomeKit. We do it on our Apple TV. Our Echo devices are 7 Echo Gen 1 + one Echo Flex on ceiling of garage.

Everything in our house is automated because we don’t like yelling at Alexa to control the home, and we don’t use dashboards except when out of town. My wife, however, does like to tell Alexa to “wake up the bedroom” or “wake up the kitchen” or “close the garage door” (when she is carrying groceries inside) or “it’s bedtime” to initiate the bedtime routine. All of them simply activate a virtual switch that triggers Rules on Hubitat to do the real work.

1 Like

I’m using Alexa. I use an AppleTV 4 as my HomeKit hub. At some point of time I will replace my Alexa devices with Home pods.

Instead of dashboards, I use the Apple Home app.

Cool. I have an AppleTV. What are you guys running HomeBridge on?

I'm running it along with a whole bunch of other things on one of these:

But it will run happily on an Pi Zero 2 W.

Or you could choose to support the HOOBS project, and get their custom hardware..

2 Likes