Multiple Lutron Caseta Pro Hubs - Gotchas? Suggestions?

My dipping of the toe into the Lutron pond has quickly turned into being at least waist deep.

My wife loves the look of the Lutron dimmers and the Claro wall plates (no screws). Not to mention I was quickly able to automate one of her lighting "requirements" now that the kitchen lights are "programmable".

I am still mostly working on the main floor but my projections indicate I will break the Lutron Caseta limit of 50 devices before I am done. I am thinking about splitting to two Lutron hubs - leaving the existing one for the main floor ("upstairs") and adding a new one for the basement ("downstairs").

I believe I have read that I will need to setup the second Lutron hub with a different e-mail address - I don't see that as a problem. Are there any other things that might bite me in the rear? Are there any other suggestions for making this as smooth as possible?

Thanks!

Nope. I have 3 in my house. Trick is just dividing them up logically. I used different devices, one for each Smart Bridge Pro to make pairing and such easier. Since I set everything up, I haven't logged back in to any of the lutron apps.

Also use the bulk import option on the lutron integration. Huge time saver. I created 122 devices in under 5 minutes once the CSV files were written.

Also those csvs help remind you which device is on which lutron hub if you need to go back in.

Also, you can look at Hubitat live logging after turning on debugging on the telnet driver and press any device and it will log out which one it is as well.

I figured before I get any further into the pond, I should think about the long term. I created two GMail accounts, one for the "upstairs" hub (the existing hub) and one for the "downstairs" hub (the new, to be, hub). I was able to transition to the new e-mail address by going to:

https://device-login.lutron.com/users/sign_in

and logging in and then selecting "Change Email" from the button at the top of the screen.

I think I will put a label on each hub with the associated e-mail address . . .

I am guessing I need to click on "Sign Out" on the "Account" page and then sign back in with the new username (e-mail address) and password?

We don't think that's going to blow anything up, do we?

I think I will wait until my wife is at work . . .

I logged out of the app and logged in using the new e-mail address and password - no adverse impacts I can see (so far)!

Follow-up (related) question - when I get the second Lutron Caseta Pro hub and add it to Hubitat, I will need to create a second instance of the Lutron Integrator? That's leading me to think it would be clearer if I renamed the current instance so that it will be clear that one instance is for the upstairs hub and one is for the downstairs hub, If I go into the current instance and change the name then hit done . . . will anything bad happen? I've got a bunch of things setup that I would hate to lose . . .

Thanks!

Second Lutron Caseta Pro hub - just ordered from Energy Avenue.

2 Likes

I did a backup just in case. I changed the name of the existing Lutron Caseta Integration by appending the word "Upstairs" to distinguish it from the new hub (when it comes) that will be designated "Downstairs". I clicked "Done" and everything still seems to work just fine - I have not observed any adverse impacts.

Whew! A sigh of relief.

UPS delivered the second Lutron Caseta Pro hub this afternoon.

I created a DHCP reservation and installed it (this one is in the basement, it's the "downstairs" hub).

I then realized (I think) there is no way to have two instances of the Lutron App on the same phone. Fortunately I had a Fire tablet with the Google Apps Store on it so I was able to load the Lutron App on the Fire and use that for the Downstairs hub.

Am I correct that there is no way to have two instances of the app on the same device? I don't see any way . . .

Not a huge inconvenience since everything will be controlled by Hubitat and Google Assistant/Home.

Correct. You have to log out and log in to each account on the lutron app. Or use different devices for setup.

For the initial setup using two different devices was preferable. I had a few Lutron devices installed downstairs but on the original hub (now designated as the upstairs hub) so I needed to delete them from one hub and add them to the other hub.

Reviving an old thread ....

I have 7 more slots available in my Lutron Bridge Pro and will probably "find" more uses for other Caseta switches and Picos. It looks like from the Caseta App Gear --> Settings --> Account Page you can add another Home. Is this also a method to get two Bridge Pro units on one account? Thanks!

AFAIK, it is the only method to get additional second Bridge Pro units on the same account.

1 Like

Thanks, it would be a PITA to have to use two emails/devices to setup ... I suppose I'll cross that bridge (no pun intended) when I hit the limit. If I do, I may move all of the Picos that are not associated with Caseta dimmers/lamp modules to the 2nd hub to keep it cleaner. The ever expansion of my setup is REAL! LOL

The Caseta Pro2 Hub limit is now 75 devices.

1 Like

Yup. Iā€™m at 68 ... 7 more to go ... 2 more dimmers will be installed this weekend!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.