Multiple input device for float switches to monitor levels?

Hi folks, looking to build a sump pit sensor array (currently we have a single water sensor which is on the fritz after the flood... very annoying to be false alarmed at 1 in the morning!) that ideally has 3-5 float sensors attached to it. The best scenario is the float sensors are then hard wired to a box that I can mount higher up (for obvious water related reasons ;)) and that box itself is mains powered so I'm not watching battery %'s.

Any suggestions? I saw a device that had multiple I/O's floating around but didn't bookmark it. I know I can do a HubDunio device but free time is pretty limited right now and reliability is top priority so I'd prefer to tinker with a driver vs working on hardware/software (especially since we're not living in the house we're monitoring).

Thanks for any and all suggestions!

I'm going to guess you have already looked at a number of water sensors,

However I have one of these " HomeSeer HS-LS100+ Z-Wave Plus Leak Sensor"
It doesn't meet your mains powered criteria but it has a remote probe. I've had mine for 6 months and the battery is still "strong" . I hesitate to quote battery %age as from what I've read they are meaningless.

These can be had for ~$25 so multiple units might meet your multiple probe goal.

Just a thought

John

I own 5 different water sensors, none of which have proven reliable for this particular task sadly, though multiple sensors with remote probes would "Work" they would just need to be modified to be mains powered.

I have so far found these options:
https://www.amazon.com/FortrezZ-Z-WavePlus-MiMO2-Interface-Module/dp/B008D5066C/ref=pd_cp_60_2/146-7433433-0284707?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B008D5066C&pd_rd_r=9d9d17c5-ad0a-4eaa-a7a6-e8fe6381603a&pd_rd_w=5qdGE&pd_rd_wg=3lVSH&pf_rd_p=0e5324e1-c848-4872-bbd5-5be6baedf80e&pf_rd_r=YR4MH60ZRB2YBX6JSK9D&psc=1&refRID=YR4MH60ZRB2YBX6JSK9D

This would allow 2 float sensors, the output part is unused so paying a lot of extra for none use there.

Again some options not used but a bit cheaper and could be useful for "othing applications" as well.

I have a Fibaro RGBW (pn FGRGBWM-441) that has 4 readable inputs, however there is no driver to read the inputs. The Hubitat driver only controls the LED drivers.

So whatever you chose be sure the driver will do what you want.

I also remember you didn't want to "build" a HubDuino but I've made two and they are extremely easy to build, not much time req'd. The only thing you need to do is add a few caps, resistors and maybe a diode, all to "protect" the inputs, put it in a box and your done. One of mine has been working for over a year with no issues.

John

FWIW:
I did a project for a septic system alarm and there were a number of float switches that were set to notify on various stages, low wet well, high wet well, etc. Perhaps you could find something from a plumbing supply for the well and connect them to a few door switch indicators in a small plastic box? The batteries on those last a long time in my setup on the entry doors.

2 Likes

Were you measuring political promises?

2 Likes

what you did and what I'm trying to do is exactly the same (I'm monitoring a sump pump pit) I was just hoping for a device that could reliably listen to a bunch of floats instead of doing a bunch of devices. Mains power and a focus on reliability because we don't actively live there so false alarms are annoying to check but non-alarms could mean an issue gone unnoticed for weeks.

Did you write custom code or just use RM for your project?

Chris
Here is how I would do it...

Buy 3 of these and put them at different levels

Ignore the voltage as itโ€™s just a 2 cable switch (on/off)

Then I would use 3 cabled water sensors (like the aeon sensor) cutting the plug off and connecting one to each switch.
Or 3 contact sensors that are capable of using a cable connection.

Then I would hack each water / contact sensor and power them with one of these (connected in parallel the psu is capable of powering them all.)

image https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=pa_sp_atf_aps_sr_pg1_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A08812292YL76HXT4J181&url=%2FAmazonBasics-Universal-detachable-Reversible-Polarity%2Fdp%2FB07DNL7RQD%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1_sspa%3Fcrid%3D306WOXFGKJXWY%26keywords%3D3v%2Bpower%2Bsupply%26qid%3D1576185393%26sprefix%3D3v%2Caps%2C165%26sr%3D8-1-spons%26psc%3D1&qualifier=1576185393&id=2615347179785609&widgetName=sp_atf
(Set to 3v to replace the batteries)

I know that these devices are from the Uk but Iโ€™m sure that there are US equivalents

Itโ€™s not without working with a bit of hardware but is the easiest way I could think of to do this.

Andy

The project was work related not for my home use, Was just offering the idea of float switches used in the septic system alarm I provided to a client.