Multi-light wall dimmer switch

I am preparing to switch from an over 20-year-old, X10-based approach one based on Hubitat. But before proceeding I need to identify certain replacement components that allows minimum modification to current functionality and structure, e.g., electrical switch and outlet boxes. In particular I need to find a Zigbee or Z-wave replacement for the Leviton X10 DCH 16400 & HXC3D-1TW three-address wall-mounted dimming controller. I have identified the MOES Zigbee Smart-Light Dimmer 3-Gang Switch Independent Control as one such candidate. However, I cannot find any reviews that appear relevant to my intended use. Has anyone had experience with this dimming model within Hubitat or have recommendations for a better alternative multi-light, dimming controller?

I don’t have experience with X10, but if you are looking for in-wall dimmers, my go-to is Inovelli. They are out of stock right now, but are expected to have their Zigbee (Blue Model) 2-in-1 dimmer/switch very soon. Their pre-orders are open. I had the opportunity to do some beta testing of the switch and really love it! Another switch brand that seems to be appreciated by the community is Zooz. They have several available models and are quite responsive.

Here are a few links that might also be of use to you:

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=List_of_Compatible_Devices

Thanks. The Inovelli switches appear to be an excellent choice for a scene controller. However, (unless I am missing something) they would not permit intuitive control of independent lights, i.e., it would require a single tap for this light, multiple taps for that light, etc. I have one 3-gang electrical box that would require a 7-gang box to replace with the Inovelli switches. I am looking for a controller with three on/off buttons with dimmer functionn that fits in to a single-gang box so that I do not have to tare out the old electrical boxes it achieve my current functionality.

You understand it correctly. One would need to know what of the 3 buttons to press and how many times to tap on either the top or bottom paddle. Inovelli were going to come out with a switch that was going to do what I think is exactly what you were looking for (dimmer with multiple buttons), but that project was put on hold.

The next best (and available) thing would be the Zooz Zen32 Scene controller. A load connected to it can be turned on or off with the top button. Buttons can be used to trigger scenes or rules. They could also be used, I think, to dim up and down a smart bulb or a dimmer module.

As I understand it, that X10 module is not wired into the lights, it just receives power for the unit. Then the button just signals that module?

What wiring is in that box? How are you controlling the individual lights? I am making some assumption here that you are using some Zigbee or Zwave device to control the 3 sets of lights you refer to?

I would think you could do one of the following:

• Use three Zooz Zen32 which has one wired and 4 buttons. Fits in a one gang box. Zooz 700 Series Z-Wave Plus Scene Controller Switch ZEN32 - The Smartest House

• Alternatively, I would think that you could use something like Zooz Zen34 button controllers. These are nice as you don't have to modify the wall or expand the electrical boxes. You flush mount them to the wall, and cover the whole thing with one wallplate. It looks and acts like a normal light switch. Zooz Z-Wave Plus 700 Series Remote Switch ZEN34 (Battery Powered) - The Smartest House

• With the Zen34 setup, for the least amount of ongoing maintenance, use a normal Zooz switch in bulb mode for the spot where you can fit a physical switch. I think the Zen72, 77, 27 and maybe other of their dimmers support bulb mode. ZEN72 VS ZEN77: What's the Difference - Zooz Support Center

• Alternatively, Lutron Pico can be flush mounted like those Zen34 I linked above. But that would require a Lutron Bridge ProV2. But it might be worth it for the longer battery life of the Pico (10 years) and the reliability of Lutron in general. With this method you would use 4 of the PIco remotes with 3 physical switches. Again, you could put this behind one large wall plate and not know the difference.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestions. You are correct; the X10 devices I will replace do connect to house power, do not connect to a load, and only transmit addresses and commands to switch/dimmer modules that connect power to the separate loads. Each of the three on/off buttons of the X10 device address a different switch/dimmer module and the up/down dimmer button command are addressed to the last on/off button pushed. It was simple, intuitive, and twenty-five years ago also reliable. Since the X10 addresses and commands are transmitted through the house wiring, the signal is subject to interference from noise injected by all the poorly-regulated electronics that have been developed over the last few decades.

The Zooz appears to be a popular, single switch with additional buttons and multiple taps, etc. that could be programed to control multiple lights, but again, this is not the intuitive multi-light controller that I am seeking. The Lutron Pico remote dimmers are indeed an option that would not require structural modification. However, they would require a 7-gang, cover plate (or a 4-gang & 3-gang, or …) for one of my installation points and 3-gang cover plates for everywhere else I now have a single X10 16400. I consider this a serious detraction, but Lutorn has a known good reputation and a 10-year battery life does offset the undesirability of not utilizing house power.

I was drawn to the MOES ZigBee smart-light dimmer, 3-button switch since it appears to offer a multi-light, dimmer that is as intuitive (e.g., for a guest) as was the X!0 16400. However, after years of fighting a losing battle to maintain X10 reliability, the last thing I wish is introducing unreliable components into the migration away from X10. So, at this point I am left with a decision between a known quality product that does not quite meet my desires or an unknown product that apparently does. I am willing to experiment if necessary but I would prefer to benefit from the knowledge of more experienced practitioners.

I personally don't see how that switch is intuitive, which of the 3 unlabeled buttons does what? Do you double press to turn on and off a certain light? How do you dim? Last strike is there is no tactile button, just that glass panel which would be extremely annoying to use without looking at the switch. But that is me I suppose, and having not seen the house layout.

Going a different direction, do all 7 of these really need to be in one spot? With the Zen34 button and the Pico remote, you can mount them literally anywhere with only small screw holes in the wall, they don't need a box to mount on.

• Maybe move the new "switches to a different part of the room or closer to the bulb they control.
  • You could add additional stacks of "switches" above the existing switches in their own gang.
  • The other thing the Pico has going for it (not trying to talk you into those, really) is they have some really nice table stands where you could put extra switches on an end table or countertop or something. Downside to Pico is they don't look like a normal switch.

There are many possibilities of location for new "switches" as both of these are battery remotes, and don't require power.

Your points are well taken. Furthermore, I just realized that the MOES “multi-gang” switch will not work in some of my locations where the hot wire for the load is unavailable. So that settles that. I will indeed explore distributing the switches to other locations. Thanks.