MQTT Brokers?

I’m confused by the various MQTT threads. Originally Hubitat didn’t support MQTT so people wrote bridges that leveraged HA or ST hubs. Now Hubitat can handle MQTT commands? But you still need a separate MQTT broker? Is that right? What is the simplest way to set up a broker if so? Are their cloud versions that folks like?

You may want to edit your post and remove the code block tags.

2 Likes

AFAIK, Hubitat has always been able to communicate to an MQTT broker. The broker you use is up to you. Running Mosquitto locally on an SBC/NAS seems to be a popular option.

3 Likes

I installed Mosquitto (Install Mosquitto Broker Raspberry Pi | Random Nerd Tutorials) on a Raspberry Pi. It's a fast install and super low maintenance. I think I reboot it once a year.

3 Likes

I also have Mosquitto on a Pi. I was (am) clueless with the Pi but found it very easy to setup (blindly copying and pasting commands). I should, but don't, have it UPS protected, however I've not had any issue after unexpected power cuts. It never gets rebooted.

1 Like

Mosquitto - rock solid

Cloud broker - maybe HIVE. This is a nice easy way to try MQTT out but not sensible for an ongoing solution. Keep it local.

1 Like

I see that an MQTT client is now included in Hubitat....

As a new Hubitat user, what are the basic steps one needs to set up the client?
I don't see an app pre-installed.
I do see a doc page, but no info on how to activate it... with my limited knowledge of Hubitat

Can someone point me to step-by-step install information??

(I'm very familiar with MQTT...)

thanks

The client is something you can use if you develop a device driver. It's not a "user-land system", for lack of a better phrase.

2 Likes