Moving two devices from Vera to HE without excluding and including them?

tldr; If I have an brand new C8 with no devices on it; is there a way to move two devices which is included on a Vera Edge (or Ezlo controller) over to the C8 without excluding and including them manually?

I know there are post up and down on this and I am fully aware that the advised solution is to do the exclude / include dance. Though; I read some have done a controller shift, some have used the Learn Mode and I also see its only possible before a given version of HE if I understand it correctly. I find it not super clear if its possible to do.

I have a network close to 200 devices I want to get off my old Vera (its actually still running pretty well, but its time to let it go). I am more than happy to do the exclude / include dance on all of these except 2 devices. These 2 devices are extremely hard to get to and if I am to do it it will be expensive to do. In retrospect they should not have been placed where they are, but they are.

I am planning to have 2 C8 controllers. One for everything regarding heating and ventilation and one for everything lighting, curtains and other stuff. Then I am gonna bridge these two. I have already excluded and included all my heating and ventilation devices and these are already running fine on one of the C8 controllers.

I am now prepared to start on the second one. My initial plan is to excluding all my devices from my Vera except the two I am having a hard time getting too and then with only these two devices left on my Vera was to pair up my Vera to the brand new and empty C8 and then move the network over to the C8 to get my two troublesome devices over this way and then include all the devices I excluded.

I do have an Ezlo controller so I can jump from Vera Edge to the Ezlo (they provide a solution for this) and then from Ezlo to the C8 if that makes things possible / easier.

The devices in question are two Qubino dimmers which I know have drivers in HE (already tested).

Is there anyway this can be done?

While it’s technically possible as you mentioned, I don’t believe Hubitat is able to do a z-wave controller shift.

When I read the documentation on Z-Wave Learn Mode it states the following:

NOTE : As of Hubitat Elevation platform release 2.2.5 , the hub cannot be utilized as secondary controller for the purpose of migrating devices from a primary controller to Hubitat Elevation.

I read this as it was possible to add the HE as a secondary controller to another (in my case the Vera or an Ezlo) and then move devices over pre version 2.2.5. Am I wrong in assuming so?

If so was possible; is it possible to downgrade my C8, do the above operation and then upgrade the C8 again?

Hubitat is a ZWave Certified Platform. It's my understanding that to be certified, they had to implement all the ZWave commands for a Controller, which would have included controller shift. However, there is no 'button' exposing those commands to the world.

A lot of us have added ZWave USB Sticks to Hubitat as secondary controllers and used SiLabs software to take advantage of that, but I know of no way to go the other way: To join a Hubitat hub as a secondary to another controller.

1 Like