Moved over from SmartThings, Z-Wave devices stopped working

Hi,
New to Hubitat here, I painstakingly excluded and reset all my Z-Wave devices from ST then added them one by one to Hubitat. This was mostly seamless, however, when I moved the hub to its permanent location, all my Z-Wave devices stopped working. It's quite strange because it lives in the same place as my ST hub and I had a great connection. However, now, none of my devices have routes, repair shows 8 failed nodes, and I have 4 ghost devices...

What did I do wrong?

This. :arrow_up:

The devices knew how to "phone home" and you just threw a monkey wrench into the works.

It really isn't recommended to do a full repair on a C7 hub. Individual node repairs might be needed occasionally though.

I would do a node repair on the closest device or two, and see if the hub can talk to it. and move out from there.

Are these extra nodes that should not exist, or ones that are devices that lost their information somehow? IF they should not even exist, you must get rid of these before doing anything else. They will wreak havoc with the mesh. There are some really good posts about removing ghosts.

If these are devices that lost their info somehow, and are not duplicated in other nodes, try doing a "discovery" on the Zwave details page with the device in inclusion mode. It should pop right back into place.

Well, I didn't really have a choice since some devices wouldn't pair unless they were in close proximity to the hub... I encountered the same with ST and moving the hub around for pairing purposes was usually ok.

I cut the power to most devices, turned the hub off for an hour then everything re-converged. The ghost devices allowed me to delete them this time around, and the discovery worked. Looks like I'm in good shape for now, until my Caseta Pro hub shows up...

5 Likes

You are going to love it! My switches are 90% Lutron. They work great with Hubitat and Pico remotes are just awesome with Hubitat.

6 Likes

And never a ghost!

3 Likes

I needed some 2-ways so I have a mix of Lutron Caseta and Leviton (that I had bought for cheap on Woot a few years ago).

Throw in a few Pico remotes for areas where you'd like an extra button or two and you are golden.

1 Like

Start with getting rid of these. They will slow/crash your mesh. Once they are goine run individual node repairs and see how things shake out.

2 Likes

All of my dimmers and switches are Lutron Caseta devices. I used the original Lutron bridge with Smartthings, but had to purchase a new Pro2 bridge for use with Hubitat. The Lutron integration uses telnet. Once your Caseta devices are paired with the Lutron Pro2 bridge and you establish a fixed IP address for the bridge and connect it to Hubitat using telnet, the integration is rock solid. I have to fiddle with my Z-wave devices periodically, but Lutron just works.

I suggest that you add all your Lutron devices to the Lutron bridge before trying to connect it to Hubitat. If I remember correctly, when you first set up the Integration, all devices connected to Lutron will automatically be added to Hubitat. Any devices added later have to be added individually by editing the integration list. Although not difficult, it is tedious as the list must be typed precisely. Things like typing a "D" rather than a "d" mess things up and there can be no extra spaces. Since the first letter of a line usually defaults to a capital letter, you have to be careful to change it to small case.

1 Like

No, you still have to import the integration report. Wish it did auto install them though

2 Likes

Thanks, I guess my memory was faulty. That is a hazard of getting old.

1 Like