Moved from ST to HE but light behavior is different

Hello,

I'm not a novice but I feel like this might be a novice question. The problem I'm having is compounding downstream in my smarthome and I want to make sure I'm not missing a stupid setting somewhere because it's behaved like this since day 1 on HE.

When I was on ST, I used webcore and Alexa without issue with controlling bulbs. If I changed the color of the bulb, the level would stay the same and the color would change. Same with CT. No problems/expected behavior.

Ever since I moved to HE, the bulbs are controlled differently and it causes an annoying behavior: let's say the bulb is 50% red, I change the color in HE, Webcore, or Alexa and yes the color changes but it always changes the brightness to 100%. CT changes react the same way. All my bulbs exhibit this same behavior and it's only been since my move to HE.

Because Alexa routines are configured for switch, level, then color, no matter what I do, the bulbs will always end on 100% because of this behavior. Webcore triggers have their own sets of challenges with this.

I feel like there must be a switch somewhere that tells HE in what order to do the color/level and I just can't find it. I've had to do a series of ugly workarounds to just get my house to not disco every time lights were triggered but I'm ready to pursue whatever the permanent solution is here.

This isn't normal; the behavior should be like that you describe on SmartThings.

Some more information may be helpful: what brand/model of bulbs are these? What driver are you using for them? ("Driver" is the analog of "DTH" on ST and is shown in the "Type" dropdown on the device page.) Do the commands work as expected if run manually from the device page, i.e., leaving webCoRE or Alexa out of the picture?

Thanks for taking an interest.

I just tried again from the device screen in HE. Changing CT AND color increases the brightness every time a change is executed.

The devices are Kasa KL130's bulb driver version 6.3.2 and KL430's lightstrip version 6.0.4.5. Both of these are the most up to date drivers.

Controlling it natively from the KASA app is the only place I can make a change without the level changing to 100.

I take it these are community/user drivers, then? (I'm not aware of anything built-in for these.) In that case, you might wish to ask the author if this is intentional behavior. Often, posting in the thread for that driver is a good way to ask, since authors often monitor those and people often use them as a place for discussing issues like this; but tagging the author here to ensure visibility is another option.

In any case, this is apparently a driver issue, not anything related to Hubitat per se.

3 Likes

Well I certainly know which channels to go through to give that feedback. I was CONVINCED this could not be a driver issue but yeah, if I came from ST to HE, the driver is obviously not the same and the devices could be getting handled differently. Thank you for the sanity check.

1 Like