Motorized electric Gate

Hi All

I had an electric gate installed at my house and am planning to add in a zigbee device to be able to open/cose and see it's status too from hubitat.

Am i right in assuming i can just have a Sonoff ZB switch wired in to do this or is there a better device?

Thanks
Mike

On my old gate, I had a ZEN16 z-wave relay inside the control box. The operator had contacts that allowed it to sense opening and closing, so it was all done within the control box. The operator was powered by 24vac, so it could power the ZEN16 directly. I had a Zigbee contact sensor at one time as well, but range wasn't as good as Z-Wave, and now C-8 has better Z-Wave range as well. Plus, it would crap out also from the elements.

My new gate is powered by 24vdc, and I purposely don't have the capability to control it by Hubitat. The remote that came with it reaches into the house and I rigged up a Ecolink Z-Wave, again for the range, contact sensor inside the control box and wired to an external contact sensor mounted on, of all things, a paint stirrer stick.

This is why I don't have Hubitat involved in controlling the gate operator. It was an oil delivery truck that got closed on as it was leaving. No damage to the truck. Farm gates are very flimsy, but light.