Motion Sensor

Hi,

I'm trying to bring all my Zigbee devices into Hubitat C7 hub (I've been using several hubs before: c5 and aqara). Now that Hubitat supports (in beta) HomeKit, I think it worth my time and spending some money to get rid of Aqara.

Anyway, I know that Aqara devices fall off the Hubitat hub, no matter what I try (been testing on and off for a few years, and always complete failure), so looking for new motion sensors. Based on what I found so far on this forum, it seems that two are favorites:

Anything else I'm missing before I order couple of each to test?

Thanks!

Those two are by far the best in my opinion. The Philips will allow you to use AAA batteries where the Aeotec Motion Sensor will require CR2 batteries. Phillips has the added value of providing illuminance if this is something that would be useful to you.

I have at least one Aeotec in every room in my house, though I bough them when they were branded as Samsung Smart Things motion sensors and substantially cheaper…

Third Reality motion sensors also use AAA batteries and have been fairly well reviewed by most users. They are motion only, no temperature if that matters.

2 Likes

I have a hue unit and really love it. The price for me (a while back) was too much but actually, seeing your post made me look again. I just read that Hue has discontinued this device (as of sept/2022?) so thats a negative but I needed Lux as a trigger and few sensors give Lux. Hue does. It is also accurate as heck and can be varied on its reporting speeds which is not common. There are some users here very high on Philips Hue, especially the bulbs which is a positive. (oh - and its gentle on batteries AND its Zigbee! (for those of us that turned off ZWAve))
Seeing your post, I'm going to go order a pair now!

It is listed as a "new" product on their website right now. Maybe that has something to do with a recent product revision?

1 Like

The latest outdoor (sml004) is available direct from Hue -- installing my recently-arrived one today here.

I don't know why any (old or new) aren't readily available these days at the usual places (Amazon or Home Depot) -- that is odd, but maybe supply chain. Who knows.

Ok, ordered Smarthings motion sensor off eBay and two-pack of Hue from Costco.
Will test it out. Thanks!

1 Like

I've had nothing but issues with all my aquara stuff. Even in ST and early on in Hubitat so I ditched it.

One of my new favorite motion sensors that are still available are the xfinity ones from ebay. They are a bit bulky, and take 2 CR123 cells but they work great with minimal false detections. Typically these go for $10-$14

These TPLink motion sensors work good too. They can be a little tricky to pair, and are quite big (about half the height of a coke can and similar diameter) but take AA batteries and are easy to mount with the included bracket. These go for around $13

Not my listings, but both are sellers I've bought from.

What's the re-trigger time? i.e how quickly it reports next motion after it becomes inactive? I don't really care about size in this case.

IIRC, they are kinda weird. I want to say it's a 2 minute cooldown time after motion stops. As long as motion continues, they stay active. One thing I like too is there's a small led inside that lights when it sees motion. Good for testing range/etc.

Hue motion sensors have adjustable retrigger time down to 10 seconds if you need something that fast.

Yes, I already ordered these. Thanks. I'm just trying to see if there are cheaper solution with about 30 seconds re-trigger time. would like to replace Bosch motion sensor in one location, which seems to have more than couple minutes re-trigger time.

1 Like

I've been experimenting with the Thirdreality sensors since October. They aren't rated for outdoors but so far they have been holding up well. We don't get a lot of rain (desert) but lately we have had a bit more than usual. They are cheap enough at about $18 each. If your location is relatively protected they may be worth a look but YMMV.

My biggest issue with outdoor sensors is there are a lot of feral cats in the area. I don't want them setting off my exterior motion lights. I live in an urban area and don't want to annoy the neighbors with blinking lights. These sensors detect a wide angle to the bottom and a small angle to the top. By turning them upside down they don't see the cats.

They do have a 30 second timeout but in my case I keep the lights on for several minutes after the sensor goes inactive. Previously I was using the Ecolink sensors with pet immunity but they would sometimes drop off the mesh. It may have been the distance from the mesh (z-wave). They had very few false triggers but they have a four minute timeout so it wouldn't work for your needs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09MVKWBFF

I have one of those Bosch sensors too. Besides that timeout, it's been a terrific sensor. Mine has been outdoors (but under an eve for protection) for several years now.

The Hue outdoor sensors are very nice but like lairdknox pointed out they are pretty sensitive. I have rabbits that trigger my lights at night sometimes. And a fox. Only cool thing is I also have them trigger my cameras so I can see what critter turns it on. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info. Will add them into my list "to test".

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.