Motion Sensor speed - Wink to HE

I recently started moving motion sensors and switches from Wink over to HE.
This particular description is using the Dome motion sensor & two Leviton Z-Wave switches (the ones with the infamous air-gap).
With Wink, I'd gotten accustomed to having the motion sensor trigger the lights with a delay of 2-5 seconds. Had been reading some good things about the speed of triggers being read and related actions! Here is what I was not prepared for:

1. The Dome motion sensor having 15 motion sensitivity levels & 30 lux levels! Damn... Wink only showed 5 motion sensitivity levels and had never reported the light levels - I'd even forgotten that the feature was there!
  2. I was prepared to setup the switches multiple times - exclude, factory reset & include - that's what Wink had made me do. The switches themselves - once connected, have been maintaining a rock solid connection! They connected on the first try and controlling the switches from the hub's dashboard has been instantaneous!
  3. I set up the rules for the motion sensor to trigger the light & turn it off & again... damn - walk into the room and the lights are on! Not just the first time - day after day - time after time! The lights turn off after the appropriate delay after motion detection has stopped! LIKE CLOCK WORK!

Having been educated about building a solid Z-Wave mesh with powered Z-Wave devices, I've maintained a healthy mesh - but this is a pleasant & welcome surprise - good one Hubitat!

10 Likes

zigbee motion sensors are also incredibly fast

1 Like

I hear you... I'm not comparing ZWave & Zigbee - just that coming over from Wink2 to HE - the difference is immediately visible (quite literally :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Think about what you are going to do with all that extra time you used to spend in the dark. The possibilities are endless. You might be able to get an advanced degree. :wink:

1 Like

Or learn Portuguese, like George.

1 Like

I did say the opportunities were endless. Some may indeed learn a language. Portuguese would be a good choice.

1 Like

As someone who moved to HE from Wink, much like @bkadambi (welcome to Hubitat, btw!), the difference in response time between Wink & HE is incredible (like 10-20 seconds v/s 1 second).

I'm sure zigbee would be faster yet, but the difference would not be as dramatic as cloud processing v/s local processing.

2 Likes

seriously?, this was/is an average motion lighting response time on Wink?, or is this your typical outlier...

even ST managed to pull off <500ms most of the time...

5-20 seconds was average for Wink robots that used motion/contact sensors to control lighting. The outliers were were longer (the longest was several hours later).

In contrast, Alexa control was very fast .... Wink also uses AWS.

1 Like

That would be enough time for my wife to file divorce papers!:exploding_head:

1 Like

Working on it :+1:

1 Like

Looks I jinxed something :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Over 7000 homes in my town are without power now :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Same for me with a Wink v1!