Motion sensor recommendations

I updated later in the thread that I have started building out my zigbee mesh. I now have 5 Iris outlets spread around my house that should give good coverage. Picked up 3 of the Iris v2 motion sensors this morning (that's all they had at my local Lowe's), and probably going to order a few more along with a couple of the 4 button fobs.

Just opened my first Iris motion sensor, dang these things are tiny! Love it!

3 Likes

Yep, I'll bet once you try those and see the speed difference you'll be OK with that zigbee mesh and a few extra plugs. They are FAST. They just aren't customizable. I think you'll be happy with those. Just last week I bought 4 for $15 each. SO worth it.

1 Like

And a 3v power adapter... (I have run wire for most of my battery powered devices down to the basement where I power them all with AC/DC 3v adapter.

I really just need to make a version of the battery where it has a cutout for the wires and everything....possible winter project.

2 Likes

Got the 3 new sensors hung in my master bathroom area and corresponding rules set up, these little things rock!!

1 Like

I have a couple of the new ones.. the one's we've been calling "v3": Flat face, not from Centralite.

I decided they are reliable enough to Gorilla Glue my 3D printed ball mount to it.

I've had them at least a month now.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. I replaced all my light related motion sensor with those bad boys and have been happy ever since. No longer end up halfway down the hallway before the lights kick in. Sometimes I would see my wife do what I called the "stutter step" with the old sensor because she kinda waited for the lights to pop on before proceeding down the hallway. No more stuttering with these puppies.

1 Like

How are they compared to the v2's so far....and are they significantly bigger?

no, very similar in size.

I took a pic once and posted it here... wonder if I can find it. V2 style mounted on a wall, new one balanced on the end of a pencil, next to it.

The biggest dif is that it uses the CR123 battery not the CR2 from v2. It's just that little bit wider as a result.

:+1:

Now combine those with some of the GE dimmers/switches with built in motion sensors...once you know how fast, fast can be...you really can't go back. My 1/2 bath/kitchen/basement all use those built in motion sensor dimmers...boy it just feels instant when you walk in. I use my other zwave motion sensors in the rooms primarily to continue to detect motion.

1 Like

How is the response time of the new "v3" vs. the v2 Iris motion sensor?

J

1 Like

I have some iris v2 motion sensors and they work quite well except for one that seemed to be faulty. Their battery seems to last quite a while also. I also have zooz 4-in-1, which I bought because I wanted the lux sensor. They are a bit laggy in sensing motion. Even worse trying to run them in Hubitat and they eat batteries. I also just recently bought some ZooZ ZSE18 when they were on sale and I am quite pleased with them. They are very responsive and the size is quite small. They paired fine with hubitat. I also have an Ecolink PIR which has been working good also. Battery lasts forever. I will try the pin jumping to see if I can get a faster response but since putting it on hubitat, it seems pretty fast to turn the lights on. In ST, i would be down at the bottom of the stairs before the lights turned on. On hubitat the lights come on right away.

Is the Zooz paired in secure or unsecure mode on Hubitat; made a perceivable difference for mine (I have a V1 Zooz 4-in1)

J

I haven't done any testing BUT the perception is, same. Zigbee fast.

I have 3 of the v2's and 2 of the v3's and where they are mounted is of course different rooms, different placements.

My "criteria" for any motion sensor is "will I stub my toe?"

If I walk into a darkened room, how many steps will I do before the light comes on. The v2's are fast, as you know. The v3's seem as fast.

dev:59  2018-11-20 01:07:30.515 pm info Hank RGBW LED Bulb switch is on
app:299 2018-11-20 01:07:30.386 pm info Iris v3 speed test is now True
app:299 2018-11-20 01:07:30.328 pm info Iris v3 speed test: MultiSenZigbS () motion active
dev:135 2018-11-20 01:07:30.294 pm info MultiSenZigbS () is active
--- Live Log Started, waiting for events ---

221 ms or 1/4 of a second.

2 Likes

So...all my local lowes are out...and no shipping... who's hoarding! :slight_smile: I need a few more!

Not sure if they are secure or unsecure. How would I know? I have only brought one over from ST so far and it was not easy to get working right. Motion is still super slow to detect.

I got some good automations set today with the new Iris sensors. That inspired me to try and do a couple with my old Ecolinks too. Man there's a huge difference in sensitivity, and a minor but noticeable difference in response speed. The Iris sensors are awesome, makes me want to ditch the Ecos. If only Lowe's had more than 3! I tried to order some online, but what's up with that truck freight thing?? :rofl:

got a video of this Iris "v3" response:

the green LED comes on and then in the lower left corner, you can see the Hank RGBW light come on (white) then a frame later, Hank hits full bright washing out the Iris.

That Hank bulb is in "instant" mode, so it's as quick as it can be, but your automation certainly won't be slower. :smiley:

2 Likes

Great..so I guess I dont need to hunt down the last stock of v2's. Are the detection angles identical to v2?

1 Like