Motion Override with Motion Light App

Hello first of all HE is awesome, if not for any of the functions but the speed gains along. I came from ST. I have done a lot of reading and for some reason, I am not able to make the motion lighting work the way I want. Maybe I am overcomplicating the situation. If someone can provide an example or a step by step for a newbie to HE it would be greatly appreciated.

App: Built-in Motion Lighting App
Devices:

• Zooz 4-in-1 Sensor with Inovelli Red Dimmer Switch (Walk-in Closet)
    • Inovelli 4-in-1 Sensor with Zooz ZSE26 switch (Bathroom/Powder Room)

Applications:
Walk-In Closet:
Time: All Day
Scenario:

• Normal operation: Sense motion (Zooz) and turn on lights at 50% (Red Switch) for 1 min (working great)
  • Advance operation:
  1. Press upper paddle (ON) twice on same switch to override motion to stay on.
  2. Press OFF to resume normal operation.

The problem I have encountered:

• No matter what I do, the light turns off in 2 min.

Power Room:
Time: Sunset to Sunrise

• Normal operation: Sense motion (Innovalli) and turn on lights at 100% (Zooz On/Off) for 2 min (working great)
    Advance operation:
  1. Press upper paddle (ON) twice on same switch to override motion to stay on.
  2. Press OFF to resume normal operation.

The problem I have encountered:

• Even if I manually during non-time (Sunrise to Sunset) hours it only stays on for 2 min.
  • Will not override even with a double click.

Bottom line: How to temporarily override the motion sensor and then how to put it back to normal.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Oh boy. That's kind've a tall order for your first few automations. This one might need to be done in Rule Machine to achieve these results. It will only work if the device reports physical and digital interactions correctly. I'm not at home to fire up hubitat and work it out, but there are plenty of posts on just that here in the community. Try searching out "physical" and sifting through the topics. There are several, and probably a few rules within to guide you. Good luck.

Thank you for the feedback, I will research as you suggested. However, I am baffled on how this is not a common request. I assume there are many applications where you want it to work as is (motion + light), but I can imagine many instances where there needs to be an override and back to normal. To all the coding gurus maybe there is an easier way thru the motion app.

Basically hit the physical switch up twice and override motion rule.
tap physical switch once OFF and enable motion rule.

I think there is a relatively easy way to handle this with the built-in motion lighting app, through the use of overrides, i.e. switch to disable off, and switch to disable turning on.

I would make a virtual switch and then control the state of that switch with the double press of the up on the physical switch or a single press on the down of the physical switch. Then the question more becomes how to detect the presses you want. I would probably need three rules to handle each situation, the main motion lighting, which seems to be working properly, one for turning the virtual override switch on, and one for turning the virtual override switch off. For those last two rules, you may need RM, but you might be able to pull it off with simple automations.

For the unexpected turning off, add a "turn off only between..." option along with the "turn on only"

I believe it's the same issue as this:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.