Motion Lighting vs Simple Lighting

I was using simple lighting to turn lights on by motion... (old habit from smartthings)... I just recently switched all my motion lighting rules to the motion lighting app... I noticed in the logs that simple lighting was constantly sending on commands on new motion events even if the off timer did not expire...

Switching to motion lighting has made a big impact on reduced z-wave and zigbee chatter...

Learn something new every day.. Just thought I would share...

2 Likes

Not to mention I had a separate simple lighting for each room for day/night modes.. Motion lighting supports modes so I was able to reduce to 1 per room...

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing this out! In my case I may do the opposite and switch my motion lighting routines over to simple lighting. I have a few outdoor lights that i have stay on for 30 minutes when triggered and I would like that timer reset as long a motion occours. Simple lighting sounds like it may be a better option for my case. I did not realize Motion lighting did not reset its timeout.

@sven Motion lighting does reset the timer if motion is detected again... It just doesn’t keep sending on commands to lights it knows are already on..

1 Like

Correct. Simply lighting is just that very simple. Where as motion lighting has a lot more over head so is then made much more efficient. It knows what state the lamps is in to stop sending pointless events, but also so it can do some other things like go to a override state, if turned on manually.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.